Gulfstream Park announced June 19 that Bill Couch, citing the combination of performing a high-pressure job far from home, has resigend as racing secretary.
The Ohio native joined the track in 2007, serving as Gulfstream Park’s Palm Meadows liaison before being promoted to racing secretary.
“I very much enjoyed the last two winters at Gulfstream Park,” Mr. Couch said from Thistledown, in Cleveland, Ohio, where he currently serves as racing secretary. “It was a thrill to meet the people I did and to enjoy the experiences I had, but I’m a family man.”
Bill Murphy, president and general manager of Gulfstream Park, said, “Bill has served with distinction in several racing posts throughout his career. Bill has much to offer and we hope we can come to an arrangement whereby we can once again use his talents, in whichever form that may take.”
Murphy said he expects a replacement for Couch to be named by mid August.
Most Popular Stories
- Horses to Watch at OBS March Sale
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen 3/10/2014
- Native Diver to Receive New Resting Place
- Mining My Own Produces Bodemeister Filly
- Half Ours Filly Tops Evangeline 2YO Sale
- Old Friends Retiree The Name's Jimmy Dies
- Ohio Tracks, Horsemen Sign 10-Year Deals
- NYRA May Lose Skorton as Chairman
- Mucho Macho Man Florida's Horse of the Year
- Haskin's One for the Roses: Honor Code