The three-time grade III winner, a 5-year-old daughter of Forest Wildcat--Diamonds and Legs, by Quiet American, was ridden to victory by Alan Garcia for trainer Ben Perkins Jr.
Wild Gams completed the six-furlong test for fillies and mares in 1:09.81 on a fast track, earning her eighth victory in 20 lifetime starts. She has earned $868,486.
Fancy Diamond, favored at 4-5, set the pace for Cornelio Velasquez in the field of five, carving fractions of :22.51 for the opening quarter mile and :45.78 for the half while building a 1 1/2-length advantage. She gave way grudgingly after being tackled by the eventual winner and wound up two lengths in front of the show horse, 122-pound high weight Jet Away Jane, ridden by Angel Rodriguez.
Wild Gams kept in close contact with the leaders while racing third and well off the rail down the backstretch.
Expected favorite Dream Rush was scratched by trainer Rick Violette in favor of the $150,000 Vagrancy Handicap (gr. II) at Belmont Park May 25.
Wild Gams was coming off a fourth-place finish in Keeneland's seven-furlong Madison Stakes (gr. II) on Polytrack April 9. The victory was her first since taking the Thoroughbred Club of America Stakes at Keeneland last fall.
She carried 114 pounds to victory and paid $7, $2.60 and $2.20 as the second choice. Fancy Diamond returned $2.20 and $2.10. Jet Away Jane was $2.10 to show. Bedside Story and Sheets trailed.
Most Popular Stories
- Ria Antonia Readies for Run Against Boys
- New Career Plans for Retired Comma to the Top
- Akeed Mofeed Takes HK Cup; Little Mike 9th
- Dozen Pointed for $750,000 CashCall Futurity
- Boat Trip Wins Express; Triple Heater for 2nd
- Dominant Upsets The Fugue in Hong Kong Vase
- Glorious Days Closes to Win Hong Kong Mile
- Jose Sea View Posts Gritty Display Victory
- Streaming Surges Clear for Starlet Surprise
- Lord Kanaloa Impresses in Career Finale