Sophomore Grass Races Top Arlington Card
In the $150,000 Arlington Classic, also on the turf, Sporting Art is the 2-1 morning line favorite. The two turf stakes join the $100,000 Hanshin Cup Handicap (gr. III) as featured events on the program at the Arlington Heights' track.
The One Thousand Guineas for 3-year-old fillies, is the first so named in this country but a popular race in Europe and elsewhere. Much Obliged is the 2-1 morning line favorite.
The locally-based Dreaming of Liz, a daughter of El Prado owned by Frank C. Calabrese, is making her turf debut in the event after her most recent effort, a victory in the $56,100 Double Delta Stakes on Arlington's opening day May 2. The Double Delta was moved to Polytrack after a rain storm the morning of the race, delaying Dreaming of Liz's initial grass start.
The win snapped a four-race losing streak for the Wayne Catalano-trained miss. Hall of Fame jockey Earlie Fires, who rode Dreaming of Liz for the first time in the Double Delta, gets a return call here.
Pin Oak Stables' Much Obliged is the early choice. The Kingmambo filly finished sixth in the one-mile Appalachian Stakes (gr. IIIT) on the Keeneland turf in her last trip to the post after previous wins in an allowance race and a maiden event, both over the turf at the Fair Grounds. Trained by Malcolm Pierce, she will be ridden Saturday by Chris Emigh.
Another likely to receive support Saturday is Haras Santa Maria de Aras S. A.’s Scolara, winner of her last two attempts over turf. Rene Douglas gets the nod for Hall of Fame trainer Bill Mott for the 1000 Guineas.
Jon and Sarah Kelly’s Sporting Art, popular winner of the Calder Derby (gr. IIIT) last time out, seeks his third straight graded stakes score on turf when he heads postward as the morning line favorite in the $150,000 Arlington Classic.
The 1 1/16-mile Arlington Classic pits 3-year-olds in the first leg of Arlington’s Mid-America Triple. Ten entered.
A son of Doneraile Court, Sporting Art has been nearly flawless since being imported to the United States after starting his career in England. In addition to the Calder Derby, the Christophe Clement trainee took home top honors in the Palm Beach Stakes (gr. IIIT) at Gulfstream Park and ran second in an allowance race over the Hallandale Beach lawn. Leading rider Rene Douglas picks up the mount.
Also carrying a two-race win streak into the Arlington Classic is Sassafras Racing and Gulf Coast Farms’ Meal Penalty. The Todd Pletcher trainee was a two-length victor in the $53,700 Shecky Greene Stakes and an allowance race winner at Keeneland. However, both those efforts were on Polytrack. The son of Tale of the Cat will be making his turf debut and is to be ridden by Arlington newcomer Jose Velez Jr.
Leading trainer Catalano sends out Prime Realestate for top owner Calabrese. The Prime Timber colt closed from last to win a first-level allowance race over the Keeneland green last time out and broke his maiden over the Gulfstream grass earlier this year. Fires gets the call.
$200,000 American One Thousand Guineas (Race 6, 3:32 p.m.), 3-Year-Old Fillies, 1 Mile (Turf)
PP. Horse, Jockey, Weight, ML Odds
1. Nijinsky Ballet (KY), Jose C. Ferrer, 116, 30/1
2. Elle Tish Slew (FL), Jesse M. Campbell, 116, 12/1
3. Three Graces (KY), Jesse M. Campbell, 116, 12/1
4. Much Obliged (KY), Christopher A. Emigh, 116, 2/1
5. Scolara (FL), Rene R. Douglas, 116, 3/1
6. Valentine Fever (KY), Larry J. Sterling, Jr., 118, 6/1
7. Cubs Fan (KY), Eusebio Razo, Jr., 116, 30/1
8. Jolie Visage (KY), Eduardo E. Perez, 116, 10/1
9. Dreaming of Liz (KY), Earlie Fires, 118, 4/1
10. Seemingly (KY), James Graham, 116, 8/1
Arlington Classic Stakes (Race 8, 4:36 p.m.), 3-Year-Olds, 1 1/16 Miles
PP. Horse, Jockey, Weight, ML Odds
1. Amazing Results (IL), Eusebio Razo, Jr., 119, 8/1
2. Mr. Mischief (IL), Christopher A. Emigh, 119, 20/1
3. Sebastian County (KY), Larry J. Sterling, Jr., 119, 10/1
4. Blue Lion (KY), Jesse M. Campbell, 119, 10/1
5. Gangbuster (KY), James Graham, 119, 12/1
6. Free Fighter (IL), Ramsey Zimmerman, 119, 10/1
7. Prime Realestate (KY), Earlie Fires, 119, 5/1
8. Meal Penalty (KY), Jose A. Velez, Jr., 119, 7/2
9. Sporting Art (KY), Rene R. Douglas, 123, 2/1
10. Strait of Mewsina (IRE), Jerry La Sala, 119, 20/1
Copyright © 2013 The Blood-Horse, Inc. All Rights Reserved.