Partnered once again by jockey Christophe Soumillon, Zarkava was a bit slow into her stride and lingered near the back of the field of 14 for the first few furlongs. Soumillon remained relaxed though, and was content to let Conference Call and Halfway To Heaven lead the way.
With two furlongs left to run, Soumillon put his charge in the clear, and Zarkava responded with an impressive turn of foot to take command with a furlong left. The result was then never in doubt, and the daughter of Zamindar drew off to win easily by two lengths.
Goldikova, who was reluctant to load and then went to her knees at the break, recovered nicely to finish second, 1 1/2-lengths in front of Halfway To Heaven.
The victory in the Poule d’Essai des Pouliches was the second straight for both Soumillon and trainer Alain de Royer-Dupre. They teamed up last year to win with the classy Darjina, who raced for Princess Zahra Aga Khan, daughter of the Aga Khan.
Owner-breeder the Aga Khan mentioned after the race that the Prix de Diane Hermes (French Oaks) (Fr-I) June 10 would be the next start for Zarkava.
Zarkava, who was the champion 2-year-old filly in France last year, is out of the Kahyasi mare, Zarkasha.
Most Popular Stories
- Streaming Surges Clear for Starlet Surprise
- Multiple Grade I Winner Flat Out Retired
- Hong Kong Cup Day: Ed Dunlop - Red Cadeaux
- Broken Sword Never Looks Back in Bayakoa Win
- Apprentice Jockey Vanessa Fry Wins Her First
- Exit Stage Left Stays Unbeaten in Gold Rush
- Hong Kong Runners May Have Trouble This Year
- Nevada Kid Rolls in Claiming Crown Jewel
- Hedge Skimmer Valiant Girl Shocks My Charmer
- Mucho Macho Man Returns to Gulfstream Tab