Partnered once again by jockey Christophe Soumillon, Zarkava was a bit slow into her stride and lingered near the back of the field of 14 for the first few furlongs. Soumillon remained relaxed though, and was content to let Conference Call and Halfway To Heaven lead the way.
With two furlongs left to run, Soumillon put his charge in the clear, and Zarkava responded with an impressive turn of foot to take command with a furlong left. The result was then never in doubt, and the daughter of Zamindar drew off to win easily by two lengths.
Goldikova, who was reluctant to load and then went to her knees at the break, recovered nicely to finish second, 1 1/2-lengths in front of Halfway To Heaven.
The victory in the Poule d’Essai des Pouliches was the second straight for both Soumillon and trainer Alain de Royer-Dupre. They teamed up last year to win with the classy Darjina, who raced for Princess Zahra Aga Khan, daughter of the Aga Khan.
Owner-breeder the Aga Khan mentioned after the race that the Prix de Diane Hermes (French Oaks) (Fr-I) June 10 would be the next start for Zarkava.
Zarkava, who was the champion 2-year-old filly in France last year, is out of the Kahyasi mare, Zarkasha.
Most Popular Stories
- Gulfstream Race is 'No Contest' After Spill
- After the Wire: Rebel Stakes
- Rebel Rematch Expected in Arkansas Derby
- California Chrome 'Wait and See' for SA Derby
- Hoppertunity Stays Up in Roughshod Rebel
- Stormy Lucy Ends Graded Drought in Santa Ana
- Featured Horse Profile: Close Hatches
- Likely Entrants for World Cup Card Released
- Onlyforyou Euthanized After Training Accident
- KY-Bred Lideris Wins Latinoamericana in Peru