Trained by Bob Baffert for Watson or Weitman Performances, Tough Tiz's Sis was assigned top weight of 121 pounds for the 1 1/16-mile event. Her rivals include the grade II winner Dawn After Dawn and the fast-developing Santa Teresita, winner of her last three races.
Tough Tiz's Sis, a 4-year-old Kentucky-bred daughter of Tiznow , will break from the rail with Aaron Gryder aboard. The bay last raced March 16, winning the Harry Henson Handicap at Sunland Park by three-quarters of a length. Gryder rode her that day and also guided her to victory in the Hollywood Oaks (gr. II) last June.
She loves the Hawthorne distance of 8 1/2 furlongs, having won four of seven tries with three seconds. Tough Tiz's Sis won Oak Tree's Lady's Secret (gr. I) at the trip by a nose over Hystericalady last fall. She leads the field in earnings at $562,692 with six victories in 16 starts.
Ike and Dawn Thrash's 4-year-old Dawn After Dawn journeyed to Keeneland for her last start, the seven-furlong Madison (gr. II) April 9, and finished third. A month prior to that, the John Sadler trainee ran second in the Santa Margarita Invitational Handicap (gr. I). The Florida-bred daughter of Successful Appeal also won the La Canada (gr. II) during the recent Santa Anita meet. She has earnings of $414,373 after winning four of 16 starts.
After breaking her maiden in her final start of 2007 for trainer David Hofmans, Equine Prep Management's Santa Teresita has won both of her starts this season, including a two-length triumph in the 1 1/16-mile Santa Lucia Handicap April 12 at Santa Anita. Regular rider Michael Baze is back aboard after missing the Lemon Drop Kid filly's first stakes victory.
Another dangerous runner in here is Jay Em Ess Stable's Glorified, who is coming off a neck defeat to the highly regarded Tiz Elemental in the Las Flores Handicap (gr. III) April 6. Rafael Bejarano retains the mount for trainer Ron Ellis. The Honour and Glory miss, after posting victories in her first two starts last spring, has finished second in three of four starts since.
Rivoltella ran eighth behind Tough Tiz's Sis in her last start at Sunland, but bled in that race, according to trainer Richard Matlow, who looks for big improvement from the Broken Vow 4-year-old. George Todaro owns Rivoltella, who won a stakes by nearly five lengths at Turf Paradise in her preceding start. Rivoltella has reeled off a series of strong works at Hollywood. Richard Migliore will ride her for the first time.
$100,000 Hawthorne Handicap (gr. III, Race 5, 3:20 p.m.), Fillies and Mares 3 & Up, 1 1/16 Miles (All Weather)
PP. Horse, Weight, Jockey
1. Tough Tiz's Sis (KY), 121, Aaron T. Gryder
2. Glorified (KY), 116, Rafael Bejarano
3. Stormin Mon (KY), 114, Jose Valdivia, Jr.
4. Fleetheart (FL), 114, Martin Garcia
5. Dawn After Dawn (FL), 117, Victor Espinoza
6. Rivoltella (KY), 114, Richard Migliore
7. Santa Teresita (KY), 117, Michael C. Baze
Most Popular Stories
- Hoppertunity Stays Up in Roughshod Rebel
- Featured Horse Profile: Close Hatches
- Onlyforyou Euthanized After Training Accident
- Let Faith Arise Puts Santa Margarita On Ice
- Close Hatches Proves Class in Azeri Stakes
- Golden Lad Pulls Away for Razorback Romp
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Centre Court Scores Game Honey Fox Repeat
- Cairo Prince Leads Florida Derby Worktab
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity