Amoss, 46, a Louisville resident whose stable is based primarily in Kentucky and at Fair Grounds, began his training career in 1987, saddling his first winner, Prize Dream, at Sportsman's Park. The New Orleans native has won eight training titles at Fair Grounds. He has also been the training leader at Ellis Park, Kentucky Downs and Churchill Downs.
He won his first graded stakes in 1992 when Jarraar captured the New Orleans Handicap. He conditioned the multiple grade I winner Heritage of Gold, a $2.3 million earner who won both the Apple Blossom at Oaklawn Park and the Go for Wand at Saratoga in 2000. Heritage of Gold ran third in back-to-back editions of the Breeders' Cup Distaff (gr. I) in 1999 and 2000. Other graded stakes winners have included Dernier Croise, Finally Here, Hattiesburg, Miss Lodi, No Jacket Required, Royal Spy, Rush Bay, Baghdaria and Williams News. He won the 2008 WinStar Derby with Liberty Bull.
In 2008, Amoss is ranked 15th nationally in purse earnings by Equibase at $1,716,539. He has 54 winners from 182 starters, a win rate of 30%.
Amoss lost his home in New Orleans when Hurricane Katrina hit and he relocated to Louisville with his family -- wife Colleen and daughters Ashley and Hayley. In addition to training, Amoss is a commentator on TVG.
Most Popular Stories
- St Nicholas Abbey Progresses in Recovery
- Castellano Closing on Season Earnings Record
- Podcast: Eclipse Awards 2013: Top 3-year-olds
- Slideshow: The Week in Photos for 12/10/2013
- Giving 'L' Legitimacy - Eric Mitchell
- Slideshow: Royal Delta
- Horizontal Navigation: Blogs and Multimedia
- NJ Senate Committee OKs Instant Racing Bill
- Veterinarian-Farrier Team Key to Managing Laminitic Horses
- Gulfstream Expands Lead in Handle