Zayat Stables’ Halo Najib worked a half-mile on the grass in :50.40 at Churchill Downs on April 22, with exercise rider Gennero Garcia up.
“I wanted to see how he would handle the grass,” trainer Dale Romans said. “If you don’t get in (the Kentucky Derby), he would go in the Crown Royal (American Turf to be run May 2). It looks like he handled it fine.”
Halo Najib has $157,996 in graded stakes earnings, good for 22nd place on the horses under consideration for the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I). When entries are taken April 30, the top 20 horses with the most graded earnings will make the starting gate.
Most Popular Stories
- Strong Mandate Brings Lukas Back for More
- Candy Boy Sharpens Up for Santa Anita Derby
- Trainer Chleborad Secures 1,000th Career Win
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Racing Voices: The Fastest Horse in the World
- Ria Antonia Posts Bullet Move at Santa Anita
- Mucho Macho Man Taking it Easy at Gulfstream
- OBS Spring Sale Catalog Now Available Online
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity
- TimeformUS Saturday Plays