Zayat Stables’ Halo Najib worked a half-mile on the grass in :50.40 at Churchill Downs on April 22, with exercise rider Gennero Garcia up.
“I wanted to see how he would handle the grass,” trainer Dale Romans said. “If you don’t get in (the Kentucky Derby), he would go in the Crown Royal (American Turf to be run May 2). It looks like he handled it fine.”
Halo Najib has $157,996 in graded stakes earnings, good for 22nd place on the horses under consideration for the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I). When entries are taken April 30, the top 20 horses with the most graded earnings will make the starting gate.
Most Popular Stories
- Podcast: Eclipse Awards 2013: Older Divisions
- Flashback Likely Pick Among Malibu Probables
- Valenzuela Expects Healthy Santa Anita Meet
- Native Diver Monument Moving to Del Mar
- Brown Enters Pleuven, Request in Dania Beach
- Stretch Out No Problem for Unbeaten Samraat
- Rice Plots Spots for Palace; Gravesend Next
- Digging Deeper into BC Lasix Study
- GII Winner Forty Tales Retires to Sequel NY
- Bill Strauss Elected to Serve on TOC Board