Daily Oaks Notes: April 22
Updated: Friday, April 25, 2008 10:26 AM
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2008 7:16 PM
(from Churchill Downs)
Photo: Coglianese Photos
Davona Dale winner and Oaks hopeful Bsharpsonata is scheduled to work Wednesday morning at Churchill Downs.
Order This Photo
A TO THE CROFT
– Koolmen Racing Stable’s A to the Croft galloped Tuesday morning at Churchill Downs under exercise rider Adam Stapley. The Menifee filly had arrived at the historic Louisville track on Monday from Keeneland, where she had been since finishing third in the Bourbonette Oaks (GIII) on March 22 at Turfway Park.
A to the Croft is one of the few fillies under consideration for the Kentucky Oaks (GI) to have raced at Churchill Downs. She broke her maiden here at first asking last summer.
Of the nine fillies considered as definite for the Oaks, only Pure Clan has raced at Churchill Downs. Pure Clan won the Pocahontas (GIII) and Golden Rod (GII) here last fall.
Two other fillies considered as possible, Highest Class and Honest Pursuit, ran once at Churchill Downs last fall.
Calvin Borel has the riding assignment on A to the Croft, who is scheduled to work Saturday morning.
– Florida Oaks (GIII) winner Awesome Chic galloped 1 ½ miles before the renovation break under Ariel Carrasquillo on Tuesday morning.
“She was strong all the way around,” said Carrasquillo, who is serving as the filly’s groom, hot walker and exercise rider. “She is doing very good.”
Owned by Aurora Springs Stable, Awesome Chic is scheduled to work Friday with Oaks rider Robby Albarado up.
– Ashland Stakes (GI) runner-up Bsharpsonata galloped two miles before the renovation break under Scott Miller.
Owned by Cloverleaf Farm, Bsharpsonata has been a model of consistency this year with three stakes victories before her runner-up finish in the Ashland.
“Everything is good here. She continues to be doing well,” said John Salzman, father of trainer Tim Salzman.
Bsharpsonata is scheduled to work five furlongs Wednesday morning with regular rider Eric Camacho coming in for the work. Camacho has ridden the Pulpit filly in her past seven starts, five of them victories.
GOLDEN DOC A
– Trainer Barry Abrams was on hand Tuesday morning to watch Ron McCauley’s Golden Doc A gallop 1 ½ miles under exercise rider Stephen O’Callaghan.
“She looked good this morning, but tomorrow will be the test,” said Abrams, who plans to have new rider Kent Desormeaux work Golden Doc A in company after the break on Wednesday.
Golden Doc A would represent Abrams’ second starter at Churchill Downs. He saddled Speaking of Time, who finished eighth in the 2000 Breeders’ Cup Distaff (GI).
Abrams said he would return to California after the work and be back in Louisville next Monday.
– IEAH Stables, Lewis Lakin and Pegasus Holding Group Stables’ Pure Clan galloped 1 ½ miles Tuesday under regular morning partner Steve Schmelzel before the renovation break.
As usual, Pure Clan was outfitted in blinkers and a shadow roll.
“She galloped in the shadow roll here last fall and the blinkers were added in the morning when we got to Oaklawn Park this winter,” Schmelzel said. “She likes to look around a lot, so we put the blinkers on in the morning, and she runs in blinkers.”
Trainer Robert Holthus is scheduled to return to Louisville on Tuesday night and be on hand at the barn Wednesday morning. Pure Clan is scheduled to work Friday with new rider Edgar Prado up.
FREE! E-Newsletters from The Blood-Horse!...
Follow the top stories of major racing events, racing previews and results with FREE e-newsletters from bloodhorse.com. As news develops, we'll deliver updates to your inbox. Follow important events moment by moment, step by step!