14 Entered for Saturday's Epsom Derby
Updated: Thursday, June 7, 2001 3:56 PM
Posted: Monday, June 4, 2001 4:25 PM
About five hours before Saturday's Belmont Stakes (gr. I), England will know the results of its Vodafone Epsom Derby (Eng-I). Fourteen horses are entered for the 12-furlong race, and four trainers have multiple entries, including a foursome scheduled to run for Barry Hills.
A total of seven races are to be run Saturday at Epsom, with races two through seven sponsored by Vodafone. Listed races will be run before and after the Derby, with the group III Diomed being run just prior to the feature.
Saturday will also mark the last Epsom Derby broadcast of Peter Bromley. The 72-year-old gave his first BBC broadcast on May 13, 1959.
The 14 entries, with trainer and jockey, when known, are as follows:
1. Cashel Bay, Luke Comer, no jockey named
- Ky-bred son of Nureyev, one win in eight starts
2. Chancellor, Barry Hills, Richard Quinn
- group III-winning son of Halling
3. Dilshaan, Sir Michael Stoute, no jockey named
- Group I winner at age two, winner of a group II race this year
4. Galileo, Aidan O'Brien, no jockey named
- Irish homebred for John Magnier. Winner of group III and listed stakes this year
5. Golan, Sir Michael Stoute, no jockey named
- Won the English Two Thousand Guineas in last out
6. Ice Dancer, Aidan O'Brien, no jockey named
- Lightly raced son of Sadler's Wells with two starts, one win
7. King Carew, M.C. Channon, no jockey named
- This will be the first start this year for the son of Fairy King
8. Mr Combustible, Barry Hills, Richard Hills
- Irish-bred, group III winner this year
9. Perfect Sunday, Barry Hills, Richard Hughes
- Ky-bred Juddmonte horse, group III winner
10. Putra Sandhurst, Michael Jarvis, Philip Robinson
- Maiden son of Royal Academy
11. Storming Home, Barry Hills, Michael Hills
- Stakes-placed horse from the Maktoum stables
12. Sunny Glen, Nick Littmoden, J. Weaver
- Stakes-placed homebred racing for Helen Mahr
13. Tobougg, Saeed bin Suroor, no jockey confirmed
- Irish-bred son of Barathea, winner of two group I races
14. Wareed, Saeed bin Suroor, no jockey named
- Stakes-placed son of Sadler's Wells
FREE! E-Newsletters from The Blood-Horse!...
Follow the top stories of major racing events, racing previews and results with FREE e-newsletters from bloodhorse.com. As news develops, we'll deliver updates to your inbox. Follow important events moment by moment, step by step!