The 3-year-old French Deputy filly showed no early speed in the 1,600-meter event (about one mile) but unleashed a big finish to register a half-length verdict over 94-1 shot F T Maia. The fast-closing So Magic finished a neck farther back in third. The final time was 1:34.40. Seventeen fillies competed.
Futoshi Komaki rode Reginetta to victory. Hidekazu Asami trains the winner for owner Shadai Race Horse. Bred in Japan by Oiwake Farm, Reginetta is out of the Sunday Silence mare Aspen Leaf.
Favored Tall Poppy finished eighth.
The Oka Sho, together with the Japanese Oaks (2,400 meters) and the Shuka Sho (2,000 meters), is considered the filly version of Japan's Triple Crown.
Last year’s Oka Sho was won by Daiwa Scarlet, her first grade one victory. She proceeded to capture the Shuka Sho and The Queen Elizabeth II Commemorative Cup (Jpn-I), and finished second against top older horses of the opposite gender in the year-end Arima Kinen (Jpn-I) at 2,500 meters.
Most Popular Stories
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Relieving Laminitis Pain in the Field
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity
- Strong Mandate Brings Lukas Back for More
- TimeformUS Saturday Plays
- Racing Voices: The Fastest Horse in the World
- Candy Boy Sharpens Up for Santa Anita Derby
- Mucho Macho Man Taking it Easy at Gulfstream
- Ria Antonia Posts Bullet Move at Santa Anita
- Trainer Chleborad Secures 1,000th Career Win