The milestone win for the Houston, Texas, trainer came in the fourth race on the program, a $10,000 maiden claiming event at 5 1/2 furlongs. Luis Quinonez guided the 3-year-old gelding to victory for owner/breeder Stve B. Blecha by 1 3/4 lengths.
Born in Covert, Kansas, Locke practiced veterinary medicine from 1972 until 1989, when he sold his practice and became a full time race horse trainer.
With the Texas-bred Scrappy Roo, Locke won the John B. Connally Turf Cup (gr. IIIT) at Sam Houston April 5. He also saddled the 12-year-old Proven Cure to win a stakes race at Lone Star Park in April 2006.
Most Popular Stories
- Ken Ramsey on Kitten's Joy
- King Kamehameha Son Dominates in Hong Kong
- TimeformUS: The Hollywood Park Swan Song
- Ritvo to Receive Lou Smith Memorial Award
- Cibelli Wins Her First Race After 60-Day Ban
- No Deal Yet on Will Take Charge, Horton Says
- That Handicapping Show: Dania Beach Stakes
- Grade I Winner Mission Approved Retired
- Big Fields for Hollywood's Final Curtain Call
- Legacy Bloodstock Relaunched by Easthams