The milestone win for the Houston, Texas, trainer came in the fourth race on the program, a $10,000 maiden claiming event at 5 1/2 furlongs. Luis Quinonez guided the 3-year-old gelding to victory for owner/breeder Stve B. Blecha by 1 3/4 lengths.
Born in Covert, Kansas, Locke practiced veterinary medicine from 1972 until 1989, when he sold his practice and became a full time race horse trainer.
With the Texas-bred Scrappy Roo, Locke won the John B. Connally Turf Cup (gr. IIIT) at Sam Houston April 5. He also saddled the 12-year-old Proven Cure to win a stakes race at Lone Star Park in April 2006.
Most Popular Stories
- Strong Mandate Brings Lukas Back for More
- Candy Boy Sharpens Up for Santa Anita Derby
- Mucho Macho Man Taking it Easy at Gulfstream
- Ria Antonia Posts Bullet Move at Santa Anita
- Racing Voices: The Fastest Horse in the World
- OBS Spring Sale Catalog Now Available Online
- Lord Windermere Prevails in Gold Cup Photo
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity
- Pure Romance to Sponsor Bourbonette Oaks
- TimeformUS Saturday Plays