A small field of six is set for the 6 1/2-furlong Las Flores, which is for older fillies and mares. Though Tiz Elemental figures to be a solid choice, Intangaroo, winner of the Santa Monica Handicap (gr. I) at odds of 26-1 during the meet two months ago, should have a big say in the outcome as well.
A late-running 4-year-old by Cee's Tizzy, Warren B. Williamson's homebred Tiz Elemental returned from a 10-month absence to win the Honest Lady Stakes at Santa Anita Feb. 24. She closed from sixth in the stretch in the six-furlong Honest Lady for Victor Espinoza to get the lead, then held off Las Flores foe Glorified by three-quarters of a length.
The bay filly, who also took the $200,000 Melair Stakes at Hollywood Park before going to the sidelines last spring, has won four of six lifetime starts with one second while banking $303,260. She has been nearly flawless in sprint races, her only loss coming by a nose to Mistical Plan in last year's Sunshine Millions Oaks.
Tiz Elemental, the 120-pound highweight, will be ridden once again by Espinoza and break from post position 4.
Espinoza said he was concerned that Tiz Elemental might have needed a race prior to her last win. “She was training very well, but I was concerned that she might get tired," he said. "She didn’t. She ran great.”
Tom Grether Farms' Intangaroo has back-to-back victories for trainer Gary Sherlock, topped by the 4-year-old Orientate filly's nose victory over Society Hostess in the seven-furlong Santa Monica Feb. 2. In the Santa Monica, Intangaroo stalked a hot pace under jockey Alonso Quinonez before rallying along the inside. She has won three of nine lifetime starts with earnings of $244,880.
Intangaroo, who gets four pounds from the favorite, prepped for the Las Flores with a blistering :57 flat five-furlong drill over Hollywood Park’s Cushion Track surface on March 18.
Jay Em Ess Stable's 4-year-old Glorified, a lukewarm choice in the Honest Lady for trainer Ron Ellis, has not been out of the money in five career starts while winning twice. The daughter of Honour and Glory ran third to the victorious Dearest Trickski in the La Brea Stakes (gr. I) at the start of the meet Dec. 29. Rafael Bejarano rides Glorified for the first time.
The 5-year-old Overly Tempting, who set the pace in both the Honest Lady and the Santa Monica, figures to be alone on the lead once again and could be dangerous with David Flores in the irons.
$150,000 Las Flores Handicap (gr. III, Race 7, 3:30 p.m.),
Fillies & Mares 4 & Up, 6 1/2 Furlongs (All Weather)
PP. Horse, Weight, Jockey
1. Acinonyx (KY), 111, Joseph Talamo
2. Overly Tempting (CA), 114, David R. Flores
3. Butters (KY), 114, Luis Contreras
4. Tiz Elemental (CA), 120, Victor Espinoza
5. Glorified (KY), 115, Rafael Bejarano
6. Intangaroo (KY), 116, Alonso Quinonez
Most Popular Stories
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Strong Mandate Brings Lukas Back for More
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity
- Candy Boy Sharpens Up for Santa Anita Derby
- TimeformUS Saturday Plays
- Racing Voices: The Fastest Horse in the World
- Mucho Macho Man Taking it Easy at Gulfstream
- Ria Antonia Posts Bullet Move at Santa Anita
- Trainer Chleborad Secures 1,000th Career Win
- Shared Belief Confirmed Off KY Derby Trail