Halsey Minor’s 3-year-old Fierce Wind drilled a bullet half-mile in 46 4/5 over a fast track at Palm Meadows March 24 for trainer Nick Zito in preparation for the $1 million Florida Derby (gr. I) at Gulfstream Park March 29.
Fierce Wind, a son of Dixie Union, scored a game half-length victory over Big Truck in the Sam Davis Stakes at Tampa Bay Downs last out on Feb. 16 for owner Four Roses Thoroughbreds, but has subsequently been sold privately to Minor with Zito retained as trainer.
Zito also had Robert LaPenta’s 3-year-old Cool Coal Man out for a workout Monday morning at Palm Meadows, timed a half-mile in 48 4/5. The son of Mineshaft won the Fountain of Youth Stakes (gr. II) last out at Gulfstream on Feb. 24 and is expected to start next in the $750,000 Blue Grass Stakes (gr. I) at Keeneland on Apr. 12.
Most Popular Stories
- CHRB Gets Update as Moving Day Draws Closer
- Marathon Valedictory Closes Out Woodbine Meet
- Solid Field Drawn for Springboard Mile Stakes
- Northern California Race Dates Approved
- Normandy Invasion, Itsmyluckyday Return
- Barbaro Brother Lentenor to Stand in Indiana
- Longshot Proves First Winner for Tippity Tap
- Outstanding Field Set for CashCall Futurity
- Preakness Purse Increased to $1.5M in 2014
- Penn National Plans to Race 200 Days in 2014