Trainer Steve Asmussen, on hand at Keeneland for the work, said it “went excellent. It was exactly what we wanted to see and what we asked him for,” he added. “He was very comfortable over the track and we hope that continues.”
With regular exercise rider Dominic Terry aboard, Pyro recorded fractions of :26 2/5, :38 4/5, :50 4/5, and 1:02 2/5, galloping out six furlongs in 1:15 2/5.
A leading contender for the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I), Pyro arrived at Keeneland last week from Asmussen’s winter base at Fair Grounds, where he scored impressive wins in the Risen Star Stakes (gr. III) and Louisiana Derby (gr. II). The 3-year-old son of Pulpit will use the Toyota Blue Grass on April 12 as his final prep for the Derby.
Most Popular Stories
- Onlyforyou Euthanized After Training Accident
- Trainer Chuck Treece Collects 1,000th Win
- Cairo Prince Leads Florida Derby Worktab
- Apprentice Boulanger Guides in First Winner
- Lexington Tracks Eye Instant Racing Licenses
- Dissident, Appearance Win at Royal Randwick
- WV Racing, Breeding Take 10% Revenue Hit
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity
- Strong Mandate Brings Lukas Back for More