Owned and bred by Joseph Allen of Abilene, Texas, the New Mexico-bred standout is closing in on the modern-day Thoroughbred record of 16 consecutive wins held jointly by 1948 Triple Crown winner Citation, Cigar, Mister Frisky and Hallowed Dreams.
Under the direction of trainer Joel Marr, Peppers Pride has rumbled through 14 victories against state-bred competition. The 5-year-old Desert God mare carries a stakes filled resume, including a win in the one-mile Valentini last year, while netting $756,665 in earnings.
The long-striding mare's most recent triumph came at Sunland Park last Dec. 16 when she ground out a 1 1/2-length win in the six-furlong New Mexico State Racing Commission Handicap while carrying 127 pounds. Five of her victories have come at Sunland.
Peppers Pride has worked forwardly in preparation for her return to action. She carries high weight of 125 pounds and is tabbed the 4-5 morning line favorite. Regular pilot Carlos Madeira will be in the saddle.
Peppers Pride is out of the Chili Pepper Pie mare Lady Pepper.
Good Looker R F, winner of the $125,000 La Coneja Handicap, presents a clear danger to the favorite. Owned by the Rogers Farms of Clint, Texas, Good Looker R F has won four of her last six races. Ken Tohill rides the Silver Season filly.
Wild Gini, Let The Musicbegin, She’s Long Gone, Theregoesdancer and Complete Pride round out the field. The Sydney Valentini is the 11th race on the card.
Most Popular Stories
- CHRB Gets Update as Moving Day Draws Closer
- Outstanding Field Set for CashCall Futurity
- Normandy Invasion, Itsmyluckyday Return
- Barbaro Brother Lentenor to Stand in Indiana
- Slideshow: New Sires of 2014
- Solid Field Drawn for Springboard Mile Stakes
- Preakness Purse Increased to $1.5M in 2014
- Marathon Valedictory Closes Out Woodbine Meet
- Northern California Race Dates Approved
- Longshot Proves First Winner for Tippity Tap