Robert LaPenta's unbeaten 2-year-old male champion of 2007, winner of the Bessemer Trust Breeders' Cup Juvenile (gr. I), was the third choice among bettors in Pool 1. Nick Zito trains the son of Cherokee Run who sits as the clear favorite over Winchell Thoroughbreds' Pyro, the morning line selection for the March 8 Louisiana Derby (gr. II). Pyro is at 6-1 after Day 1 of the KDFW Pool 2. Those two colts also set the pace among individual horses in Pool 1 wagering, with Pyro the 5-1 pick.
The mutuel field, which includes all 3-year-old Thoroughbreds other than the 23 individual horses on the Pool 2 betting roster, also closed at 6-1 but slightly more money had been wagered during the day on Pyro.
Other wagering interests that attracted solid opening day support in Pool 2 included Southwest (gr. III) winner Denis of Cork (10-1), Remsen (gr. II) winner Court Vision (12-1), Sham (gr. III) winner Colonel John (15-1) and San Vicente (gr. II) winner Georgie Boy (18-1).
Fans wagered $25,181 for the advance wager for the May 3 Kentucky Derby presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) at Churchill Downs. Betting on Pool 2 is schedule to resume at noon (ET) on March 7. The pool will close at 6 p.m. (ET) on March 9. Winning payouts will be based on odds that are in place at the conclusion of wagering in the pool.
The third and final pool of the 2008 Kentucky Derby Future Wager is scheduled for April 3-6. Real time odds on Pool 2 of the Kentucky Derby Future Wager are available on the official Kentucky Derby Web site at www.kentuckyderby.com.
Most Popular Stories
- Full Field to Meet Flashback in Malibu
- Slideshow: A Visit to WinStar Farm
- Swiss Lake Yodeler Solves Soviet Problem
- Ken Ramsey on Kitten's Joy
- Sweet Lulu Breaks From Rail in La Brea Clash
- Mr Speaker Skims to Dania Beach Surprise
- No Jet Lag Can Make Amends in Sir Beaufort
- Baker to Head Operations at Three Chimneys
- Strapping Groom Much the Best in Gravesend
- Elusive Gold Surprises Cape Guineas Field