The 5-year-old son of Artax was purchased privately by Godolphin in September 2007, with his main goal being the six-furlong Dubai Golden Shaheen (UAE-I) on Mar. 29.
Diabolical captured his final North American start last July at Saratoga, winning the Alfred G. Vanderbilt H (gr. II) by a half-length over Attila’s Storm. In his first start for his new ownership, he overcame a poor start to finish a good fourth.
There would be no such excuses needed this time around, as Diabolical broke sharply under Kerrin McEvoy and sat just off the lead set by Sarissa and New Freedom. Diabolical took command with just under two furlongs left, and drew off to win comfortably under a hand ride.
Star Crowned got up for the second spot, a nose in front of New Freedom. Time for the six furlongs was 1:09.59.
Most Popular Stories
- Game On Dude Captures Record Third Big 'Cap
- Featured Horse Profile: Palace Malice
- California Chrome Shines Again in San Felipe
- Palace Malice Returns a Winner in GP Handicap
- Ring Weekend Springs Tampa Bay Derby Upset
- Top Billing Off Derby Trail With Fracture
- Indian Charlie Son Drills Fast Furlong at OBS
- Sahara Sky Storms to Second San Carlos Win
- Winning Prize Streaks Home in Kilroe Mile
- Euphrosyne Elevated to Honeybee Victory