The 5-year-old son of Artax was purchased privately by Godolphin in September 2007, with his main goal being the six-furlong Dubai Golden Shaheen (UAE-I) on Mar. 29.
Diabolical captured his final North American start last July at Saratoga, winning the Alfred G. Vanderbilt H (gr. II) by a half-length over Attila’s Storm. In his first start for his new ownership, he overcame a poor start to finish a good fourth.
There would be no such excuses needed this time around, as Diabolical broke sharply under Kerrin McEvoy and sat just off the lead set by Sarissa and New Freedom. Diabolical took command with just under two furlongs left, and drew off to win comfortably under a hand ride.
Star Crowned got up for the second spot, a nose in front of New Freedom. Time for the six furlongs was 1:09.59.
Most Popular Stories
- Eight Stakes Elevated in Status for 2014
- What was the Top Race of 2013?
- NY Trainer Hits World Stage in Hong Kong
- Saturday Plays from Betfair Hollywood Park
- Turfway Cancels Card Because of Weather
- Silver Returns to New York Racing Association
- Rise Up Scores for Late Sire Rockport Harbor
- BloodHorse.com Has a New Look
- Equine Sector Helps Boost KY Ag Receipts
- Chasing Landaluce