Mr. and Mrs. Jerry Moss' homebred brings back-to-back victories into her 4-year-old bow, a six-furlong synthetic track dash for older fillies and mares. A well-matched field of eight is entered with Coco Belle and Tiz Elemental, also returning from a lengthy layoff, each carrying high weight of 123 pounds.
Coco Belle, a Kentucky-bred daughter of Storm Bootout of the Meadowlake mare Nezzi, has been out of the money just once in 11 lifetime starts, winning four times. She has earned $268,850.
With Garrett Gomez aboard on a sloppy racing Monmouth racing strip Oct. 27, Coco Belle took the lead in the six-furlong Miss Woodford heading into the turn and was never headed while registering a slight upset. Regular rider Martin Garcia is back aboard for the Honest Lady. Coco Belle, who won with Garcia during the Oak Tree meet on Santa Anita's all-weather track, has been working well for her seasonal debut. She figures to be part of a contentious pace scenario in the Honest Lady.
Warren Williamson's California homebred Tiz Elemental was last seen winning the Melair Stakes for trainer Carla Gaines last April at Hollywood Park. The 4-year-old Cee's Tizzy filly was originally going to make her comeback in the Sunshine Millions Filly and Mare Sprint one month ago, but was scratched. She has won three of five lifetime starts with earnings of $237,680.
Unspoken Word and Glorified, second and third, respectively, behind Dearest Trickski in the seven-furlong La Brea (gr. I) at Santa Anita Dec. 29, also entered.
Trained by Jerry Hollendorfer, Unspoken Word raced on synthetic track for the first time in the La Brea. She returned with a sixth-place finish in the one-mile Tuzla Handicap (gr. IIIT) on the turf. The 4-year-old daughter of Catienus , owned by Rancho San Miguel and Twin Creeks Farm, owns a 3-4-2 mark in 11 tries with earnings of $200,178.
The lightly raced Glorified has just four starts in her career for trainer Ron Ellis -- all on synthetic tracks -- while winning twice. Jay Em Ess Stable owns the 4-year-old Honour and Glory filly.
Fleetheart, trained by Vladimir Cerin, won the first four starts of her career but has not been out since finishing eighth in Del Mar's Osunitas Handicap on the grass July 21.
Overly Tempting shortens up for trainer Bruce Headley after a third-place effort in the seven-furlong Santa Monica Handicap (gr. I) Feb. 2 in her stakes debut.
Julio Canani brings back the hard-knocking sprinter Selvatica, making her first appearance since a third-place finish in Hollywood's Playa del Rey Dec. 9. The 7-year-old Forestry mare has won half of her 16 races and earned $343,883.
$100,000 Honest Lady Stakes (Race 7, 3:30 p.m.), Fillies & Mares 4 & Up, 6 Furlongs (All Weather)
PP. Horse, Weight, Jockey
1. Unspoken Word (KY), 116, Rafael Bejarano
2. Sekira (FL), 116, Alex O. Solis
3. Coco Belle (KY), 123, Martin Garcia
4. Fleetheart (FL), 116, Richard Migliore
5. Overly Tempting (CA), 116, David R. Flores
6. Selvatica (KY), 116, Joseph Talamo
7. Tiz Elemental (CA), 123, Victor Espinoza
8. Glorified (KY), 116, Jose Valdivia, Jr.
Most Popular Stories
- Podcast: Eclipse Awards 2013: Older Divisions
- Flashback Likely Pick Among Malibu Probables
- Valenzuela Expects Healthy Santa Anita Meet
- Storms Eye and Europe to Bearfoot Farms
- Digging Deeper into Breeders' Cup Lasix Study
- Native Diver Monument Moving to Del Mar
- Brown Enters Pleuven, Request in Dania Beach
- Stretch Out No Problem for Unbeaten Samraat
- Rice Plots Spots for Palace; Gravesend Next
- GII Winner Forty Tales Retires to Sequel NY