Santos Settles Herald Lawsuit
Updated: Thursday, February 14, 2008 7:58 PM
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2008 9:04 AM
Photo: Barbara Livingston
Hall of Fame jockey Jose Santos has settled his libel lawsuit against The Miami Herald
over an article raising questions about his actions aboard 2003 Kentucky Derby (gr. I) winner Funny Cide.
Santos' attorney Bruce Rogow said his client was "pleased" with terms of the settlement, which are confidential. Santos will "focus his energies on horses" now that the lawsuit is over, Rogow added.
"On behalf of my client, I'd like to say we've settled the lawsuit and both parties are satisfied with the result," Sandy Bohrer, the lawyer representing The Herald
, told the newspaper.
Santos sued The Herald
for libel in circuit court after the newspaper published a story indicating he may have carried an illegal object in his hand during the 2003 Derby. He was cleared of the allegations by racing officials who found he carried only a whip.
Santos, a native of Chile, retired last year after more than 4,000 racing victories. He was best known for his 2003 victories in the Derby and Preakness with Funny Cide, who finished third in the Belmont Stakes to miss the Triple Crown.
FREE! E-Newsletters from The Blood-Horse!...
Follow the top stories of major racing events, racing previews and results with FREE e-newsletters from bloodhorse.com. As news develops, we'll deliver updates to your inbox. Follow important events moment by moment, step by step!