Frank Calabrese’s 4-year-old filly Dreaming of Anna was given a testing workout on the turf Sunday morning at Gulfstream Park as the 2006 2-year-old Eclipse champion continues to progress toward a 2008 debut.
Trainer Wayne Catalano took the opportunity to send the 2006 Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Fillies (gr. I) winner through a half-mile workout on turf in :53 on the outer portion of the course around ‘dogs. The homebred daughter of Rahy has won more than $500,000 on turf, and her trainer is excited about getting another campaign under way, although how her campaign begins is still unclear.
“It was fine, and she got a little tired out there,” said Catalano later Sunday afternoon. “She needs another workout, and then we’ll start to see what’s out there. She’s on target. I just don’t know what that target is.”
Catalano is not interested in trying the $200,000 The Very One Stakes (gr. IIIT) at Gulfstream on Mar. 8 because the 1 3/8 miles distance is too far to start the season, but he does have options. Depending on how Dreaming of Anna starts her season, Catalano would like to make Gulfstream’s $150,000 Orchid Handicap (gr. IIIT) on March 30 at 1 1/2 miles.
Most Popular Stories
- ThistleDown Racino Meet to Begin April 19
- 'Mandate' Should Be Strong in Rebel Stakes
- Tapiture Takes On Rebel Invaders and Old Foes
- Social Inclusion Spoils Honor Code's Return
- Downey Profile: Improvement Mandated in Rebel
- Study Links Cell Damage to Corticosteroids
- Azeri: Don't Tell Sophia Faces Close Hatches
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen 3/10/2014
- New Standards May Be Imposed on NY Stewards
- Iotapa Heads Tough Lineup in Santa Margarita