Blood-Horse Publications announced Jan. 16 that Evan Hammonds has been named executive editor and Patty Ranft has been named managing editor, effective immediately. Hammonds has been managing editor of The Blood-Horse since 1998, while Ranft has held the title of editorial production manager since 1994. The promotions were announced by Dan Liebman, who was named editor-in-chief of The Blood-Horse in October, having previously been executive editor since 1998.
“It is comforting to know that after speaking with people from outside the company, that the best candidates were right here on our staff,” Liebman said. “I am confident that Evan and Patty will continue to show the leadership necessary to help guide the future of the company.”
Hammonds, a native of Lexington, is a graduate of the University of Kentucky with a degree in journalism. During his collegiate days, Hammonds worked in The Blood-Horse research and advertising departments. Prior to joining The Blood-Horse, Hammonds lived in Phoenix, Ariz., where he worked for Daily Racing Form. He also previously worked for Figs Form and Macmillan Publishing in New York.
Ranft, a native of Stanford, Ky., is also a graduate of the University of Kentucky, with a bachelor's degree in English and a master's degree in Library Science. She began her career in equine journalism as an editorial assistant at Thoroughbred Times in 1989.
Most Popular Stories
- Stem Cells to Treat Chronic Laminitis: The Sooner the Better
- Ramsey Farm 2013 - Ken Ramsey Interview
- Hangin' With Haskin: My Top 10 Racing Movies
- Southwest Regional: Double Barrel
- Southeast Regional: Investing in Success
- Reinventing Racing - By Eric Mitchell
- One Last Hope to Salvage Illinois 2014 Season
- G3 Winner Keep Up Retired to Mill Ridge
- Slideshow: The Week in Photos for 12/17/2013
- After the Wire: Shared Belief, Midnight Hawk