Rice was injured Jan. 3 at his Antigo Ranch near Anthony, Fla. There were no witnesses to the incident. Initial law enforcement reports speculated he may have been kicked in the head by a horse, but Rice's daughter, Paula Williams, told Daily Racing Form it is believed her father was struck by a gate after a horse had broken through it.
The horseman was found unconscious and airlifted to the Shands at the University of Florida Hospital in Gainesville, where he succumbed to his injuries.
An eight-time leading trainer Tampa Bay Downs, Rice set the single meet mark of 44 winners in the 2001-2002 meet.
Funeral services are scheduled to be held from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. on Jan. 11 at Hier's Funeral Home in Ocala, the track reported.
Most Popular Stories
- Trainer D'Angelo Dies at 55
- Gala Award: Not Your Typical Turf Pedigree
- Former Jockey Davis Focus of HRTV Documentary
- Downey Appointed to Judicial Position in KY
- Xpressbet to Sponsor HOF Jockey Challenge
- Winter Not a Serious Threat to Eastern Tent Caterpillar Eggs
- Shared Belief Confirmed Off KY Derby Trail
- Leishmaniasis: No Longer Just a Foreign Animal Disease
- Bogdan, Former NY Breeders Lobbyist, Dies
- Run the Bluegrass Race Honors Zenyatta