Rice, 72, was found unconscious Jan. 3 at his Antigo Ranch farm near Anthony, according to the Ocala Star-Banner newspaper. Although it was reported no one witnessed the incident, Rice’s son-in-law, Patrick Hoppel told local law authorities he believes the trainer was leading a horse into a field, and was kicked in the head after the horse was startled by two colts already located there.
Authorities said a woman named Linda Hayes found Rice at 7 a.m. near a barn, where he was surrounded by horses, the Star-Banner reported. Rice was taken to the Shands at the University of Florida Hospital in Gainesville.
Rice won eight training titles in 11 years at Tampa Bay Downs starting with the 1994-1995 meeting, earning his last during the 2004-2005 meeting. He set the all-time single-season mark for wins by a trainer at the Oldsmar track with 44 during the 2001-2002 meet.
The trainer is credited with 1,119 wins from 8,582 starts with $5,967,155 in earnings since 1976, according to The Jockey Club Information Systems. Rice had one win in 41 starts last year, and isn’t credited with any starts in 2008.
Most Popular Stories
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Strong Mandate Brings Lukas Back for More
- Candy Boy Sharpens Up for Santa Anita Derby
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity
- Racing Voices: The Fastest Horse in the World
- TimeformUS Saturday Plays
- Ria Antonia Posts Bullet Move at Santa Anita
- Mucho Macho Man Taking it Easy at Gulfstream
- Trainer Chleborad Secures 1,000th Career Win
- Secretariat Celebration Set for March 29