Rice, 72, was found unconscious Jan. 3 at his Antigo Ranch farm near Anthony, according to the Ocala Star-Banner newspaper. Although it was reported no one witnessed the incident, Rice’s son-in-law, Patrick Hoppel told local law authorities he believes the trainer was leading a horse into a field, and was kicked in the head after the horse was startled by two colts already located there.
Authorities said a woman named Linda Hayes found Rice at 7 a.m. near a barn, where he was surrounded by horses, the Star-Banner reported. Rice was taken to the Shands at the University of Florida Hospital in Gainesville.
Rice won eight training titles in 11 years at Tampa Bay Downs starting with the 1994-1995 meeting, earning his last during the 2004-2005 meeting. He set the all-time single-season mark for wins by a trainer at the Oldsmar track with 44 during the 2001-2002 meet.
The trainer is credited with 1,119 wins from 8,582 starts with $5,967,155 in earnings since 1976, according to The Jockey Club Information Systems. Rice had one win in 41 starts last year, and isn’t credited with any starts in 2008.
Most Popular Stories
- Multiple GI Winner Richard's Kid to Magali
- Eight Stakes Elevated in Status for 2014
- What was the Top Race of 2013?
- CHRB to Meet as Hollywood Park Closure Nears
- NY Trainer Hits World Stage in Hong Kong
- Hong Kong Cup Day: John Gosden - The Fugue
- BloodHorse.com Has a New Look
- Saturday Plays from Betfair Hollywood Park
- Ultimate Guide To Winning 1 Million Points
- Chasing Landaluce