Born in Havana, Cuba Dec. 6, 1914, Mr. Navarro was the only son of four children and he took over the responsibility of supporting the family after his father's untimely death. As a young man, he found his gift as a Thoroughbred trainer and used his innate skills to bring many horses into the winner's circle.
He raced on the New York and New Jersey circuits as well as in Florida. His top horses include Stanley Ersoff’s Charon and Youmadeyourpoint. Charon, won the Coaching Club American Oaks (gr. I) and Black-Eyed Susan Stakes (gr. II) as well as three other graded races at Gulfstream Park, and earned $925,200. Youmadeyourpoint won the Canadian Turf Handicap (gr. IIT) and Gulfstream Park Budweiser Breeders’ Cup Handicap (gr. IIIT) while winning seven of 19 starts.
In 1988, Mr. Navarro was inducted into the Oriental Park Hall of Fame at Calder, which recognizes the achievements and contributions of Cuban horsemen. He spent many years at Calder and Gulfstream Park and he continued to make daily visits to the backside of the tracks even after retiring from training in 1996.
“He will be remembered for his joy of life, his love of family and the mischievous twinkle in his eyes,” wrote his daughters, Rita and Anna Navarro, in a Miami Herald obituary.
A memorial service will be held in the Calder Chapel (in the stable area) Friday, Dec. 14, at 11 a.m.
In lieu of flowers contributions can be made to Scholarship Fund, c/o Tom LaPointe/His Place Ministries; 720 Pine Blvd., Pembroke Pines, FL 33024. Checks should be made payable to His Place Ministries.
Most Popular Stories
- Trainer D'Angelo Dies at 55
- Gala Award: Not Your Typical Turf Pedigree
- Former Jockey Davis Focus of HRTV Documentary
- Downey Appointed to Judicial Position in KY
- Xpressbet to Sponsor HOF Jockey Challenge
- Winter Not a Serious Threat to Eastern Tent Caterpillar Eggs
- Bogdan, Former NY Breeders Lobbyist, Dies
- Shared Belief Confirmed Off KY Derby Trail
- Leishmaniasis: No Longer Just a Foreign Animal Disease
- Run the Bluegrass Race Honors Zenyatta