The 5-year-old Dance Floor mare earned her 13th blacktype win in the 1 1/16-mile Pacific Heights, a race restricted to California-bred fillies and mares and contested on the Tapeta Footings racing surface. Ridden by Russell Baze, Somethinaboutlaura defeated Swiss Current by a half-length as the 1-2 favorite.
The chestnut notched her seventh win in 10 starts this year for trainer Jerry Hollendorfer and her 17th victory in a 30-race career. Winner of Hollywood Park's seven-furlong A Gleam Invitational Handicap (gr. II) in 2006 and 2007, the $45,000 purse boosted her earnings to $1,008,865 for owners Hollendorfer, Charles D. Miller, John G. Sikura and George Todaro.
Somethinaboutlaura broke best in the field of six but fell in behind the rail horse Special Heather, who led them through soft fractions of :23.98 and :48.01. After a half-mile, Somethinaboutlaura moved up when asked to take over after three quarters in 1:12.50. She opened up by more than two lengths in the stretch and won under moderate urging as Swiss Current and jockey Carlos Gonzalez made a late bid to get close. The final time was 1:44.93.
The winner, who was coming off a disappointing fifth place favorite as the choice in the California Cup Matron Handicap Nov. 3, has won six of her last seven starts.
Lilley Ranch bred Somethinaboutlaura, who is out of the It's Freezing mare Crystals of Ice.
Somethinaboutlaura paid $3, $2.10 and $2.10. Second choice Swiss Current returned $3 and $2.20 for trainer Doug O'Neill. It was four lengths back to third-place finisher Eastlake Avenue, who paid $3.80 with jockey Chad Schvaneveldt aboard.
Most Popular Stories
- Lord Kanaloa Impresses in Career Finale
- Dominant Upsets The Fugue in HK Vase
- Akeed Mofeed Takes Hong Kong Cup
- Streaming Surges Clear for Starlet Surprise
- Multiple Grade I Winner Flat Out Retired
- Apprentice Jockey Vanessa Fry Wins Her First
- Hong Kong Cup Day: Ed Dunlop - Red Cadeaux
- Broken Sword Never Looks Back in Bayakoa Win
- Exit Stage Left Stays Unbeaten in Gold Rush
- Nevada Kid Rolls in Claiming Crown Jewel