It has been three long months since racing was last conducted in the city precinct in New South Wales. Takeover Target ( by Celtic Swing, out of Shady Stream), a former world champion sprinter, returns to racing after a six-month layoff. He has not raced since his brilliant second place finish in England's group 1 Golden Jubilee Stakes at Royal Ascot. Takeover Target has won $4,378,671 in purse money thus far. The 8-year-old campaigner is ready for a stunning return to racing in the 6 furlong Arrowfield Stud Sprint Stakes worth $100,000.
But, he is not going to have the race handed to him on a plate.
Former Australasian champion 2-year-old and four-time group 1 winner Dance Hero (by Danzero, out of Gypsy Dancer) will go to post in the Sprint. He is now a 6-year-old and hasn't raced for nine months. On his day Dance Hero is unbeatable. He has earnings of $3,910,440, and 10 wins. Dance Hero has drawn the coveted rails and Takeover Target is in barrier three. The big telling factor may be the weights. Takeover Target will carry highweight of 61kg (135 pounds), while Dance Hero has been weighted on 58kg (127 pounds).There are four other runners, all stakes winners weighted on 116 pounds.
"There’s such an incredible sense of anticipation for this return to racing," said Australian Jockey Club CEO Dr. Norman Gillespie. "All of our Randwick's rooms were booked out within 48 hours which gives us an indication that I think we’re going to see a very large crowd here. It’s more than just a race day. It is a celebration of the return to racing after a very unusual three month hiatus."
Most Popular Stories
- Cibelli Wins Her First Race After 60-Day Ban
- Grade I Winner Mission Approved Retired
- No Deal Yet on Will Take Charge, Horton Says
- Big Fields for Hollywood's Final Curtain Call
- Legacy Bloodstock Relaunched by Easthams
- That Handicapping Show: Dania Beach Stakes
- Bourbon Courage Faces Csaba, Neck 'n Neck
- Tranquility Farm Downsizing, Moving North
- Woodbine Has Per-Card Wagering Rise in 2013
- OH Panel to New Track: No Tellers, No Permit