A field of 10 was entered in the 1 1/8-mile All American, including supplemental additions Sharp Writer and Hello Sunday. The Tapeta synthetic surface was unveiled at the Northern California track Nov. 7.
The millionaire Buzzards Bay won the All American by four lengths on Golden Gate's old dirt track in February 2006.
In his last start, Gary Broad's 5-year-old horse turned in an impressive 1 3/4-length allowance victory Oct. 19 over Santa Anita's Cushion Track. The Florida-bred chestnut son of Marco Bay has been working sharply at Hollywood Park since then, including a bullet six-furlong drill of 1:11 3/5 on Nov. 4. Trainer Ron Ellis had earlier indicated that Buzzards Bay would be under consideration for the Clark Handicap (gr. II) at Churchill Downs Nov. 23.
Buzzards Bay runs with 122 pounds and has regular rider Jose Valdivia Jr. in the irons.
Winner of the 2005 Santa Anita Derby (gr. I), Buzzards Bay captured Hollywood's Californian (gr. II) by a nose in June before fading badly as the favorite in Del Mar's San Diego Handicap (gr. II) on Polytrack July 21. Buzzards Bay owns a 7-1-4 lifetime record in 20 starts with earnings of $1,357,907.
The 3-year-old Sir Gallovic enters the All American for trainer Troy Taylor off a victory in Hastings Race Course's Premiers (Can-III) over older horses Oct. 14. Sir Gallovic, a Kentucky-bred son of Victory Gallop, has won four of his past five starts.
Trainer Jerry Hollendorfer has entered a pair, the 3-year-old Amazin Blue and Putmeinyourwill. The Marquetry colt Amazin Blue has not been out since a sixth-pace finish in the British Columbia Derby (Can-III) Sept. 23. Putmeinyourwill has posted back-to-back victories on the Bay Meadows turf. Most recently, the 4-year-old Old Trieste colt won the Seabiscuit Handicap by a neck Nov. 3
The Art Sherman trained Lang Field ships north following a third-place finish in Oak Tree's War Chant Stakes on the turf Oct. 13.
Wanna Runner, trained by Bob Baffert, was overmatched when finishing last of eight after setting the pace in Oak Tree's Goodwood (gr. I) Sept. 29. The multiple graded stakes winner should be better suited here.
$150,000 All American Stakes (gr. III, Race 8, 4:15 p.m.), 3 & Up, 1 1/8 Miles (All Weather)
PP. Horse, Weight, Jockey
1. Sharp Writer (KY), 122, Alex Bisono
2. My Creed (KY), 122, Macario Rodriguez
3. Putmeinyourwill (KY), 122, Roberto M. Gonzalez
4. Buzzards Bay (FL), 122, Jose Valdivia, Jr.
5. Wanna Runner (ON), 122, Carlos Gonzalez
6. Amazin Blue (KY), 120, Chad P. Schvaneveldt
7. Hello Sunday (FR), 122, Joseph Talamo
8. Sir Gallovic (KY), 120, Mario Gutierrez
9. Lang Field (KY), 122, Russell A. Baze
10. McCann's Mojave (CA), 122, Frank T. Alvarado
Most Popular Stories
- Haskin: Dr. Fager, Where Are You?
- Mucho Macho Man to Race in 2014
- And They're Off: Hollywood Park Farewell
- Butler Gets Five-Year Suspension
- Hialeah May Push for Thoroughbred License
- Ramseys Ready for Claiming Crown
- BloodHorse.com Has a New Look
- Erskine Says Juddmonte Group Not for Sale
- Trainer Harvey Vanier Dies at Age 89
- Rosalind Heads Hollywood Starlet