Aqueduct canceled its nine-race program Nov. 3 when jockeys decided they would not ride due to extremely windy conditions.
Suffolk Downs also canceled its live racing card on Saturday due to high winds. The track remains open for simulcasting. Live racing is to resume at Suffolk Downs on Nov. 5.
In New York, wind gusts from the remnants of Hurricane Noel were blowing up to 25 to 30 miles before the card began. The winds were supposed to increase in strength later in the afternoon.
Management said they would shorten post parades and the time in between races, but riders said they did not want to begin the card only to abandon it later.
The $150,000 Long Island Handicap (gr. IIIT), scheduled for Nov. 3, will be now be run Nov. 11. The final graded turf race for fillies and mares in New York this year, the 1 1/2-mile Long Island will be open to its original nominee list and redrawn Nov. 9.
Aqueduct is to re-open Nov. 4.
Most Popular Stories
- Live Chat - Friday, March 7 at NOON EST
- Palace Malice's Wins to Benefit Research
- Big 'Cap Seems Like Olden Days
- Wildcat Red Stretches Speed Toward Classics
- Indiana Downs Has New Name as Part of Rebrand
- Instant Racing Measure Advances in Nebraska
- KEEP Opposes Open-Ended Gambling Measure
- TimeformUS Weekend Stakes Plays
- CHRB Begins Cobalt Testing
- THS: Santa Anita H. & San Felipe S.