Jockey Cornelio Velasquez won five races on the nine-race card at Aqueduct Nov. 1.
Velasquez, 39, won the opener with Mustang Cal ($4); the third aboard C P West ($3.80) in the $78,700 Wild Again Stakes; the fifth with R Loyal Man ($6.50); the sixth aboard Jump Commander ($6.20); and the finale with Youbethecan ($12.80). Velasquez survived a stewards’ inquiry and a jockey’s objection aboard Youbethecan.
Through Nov. 1, Velasquez is tied for second in the standings at Aqueduct’s fall meet with several other riders, each with five winners. Eibar Coa leads the jockey colony with six wins.
Velasquez, a native of Panama, won two Breeders’ Cup races at Monmouth Park Oct. 27. He scored with War Pass in the $2-million Bessemer Trust Breeders' Cup Juvenile (gr.I) and with Kip Deville in the $1-million NetJets Breeders' Cup Mile (gr.IT). Those wins brought Velasquez’s total Breeders’ Cup victories to four.
Most Popular Stories
- Multiple GI Winner Richard's Kid to Magali
- Eight Stakes Elevated in Status for 2014
- What was the Top Race of 2013?
- BloodHorse.com Has a New Look
- NY Trainer Hits World Stage in Hong Kong
- Chasing Landaluce
- CHRB to Meet as Hollywood Park Closure Nears
- Saturday Plays from Betfair Hollywood Park
- Hong Kong Cup Day: John Gosden - The Fugue
- Ultimate Guide To Winning 1 Million Points