Jockey Cornelio Velasquez won five races on the nine-race card at Aqueduct Nov. 1.
Velasquez, 39, won the opener with Mustang Cal ($4); the third aboard C P West ($3.80) in the $78,700 Wild Again Stakes; the fifth with R Loyal Man ($6.50); the sixth aboard Jump Commander ($6.20); and the finale with Youbethecan ($12.80). Velasquez survived a stewards’ inquiry and a jockey’s objection aboard Youbethecan.
Through Nov. 1, Velasquez is tied for second in the standings at Aqueduct’s fall meet with several other riders, each with five winners. Eibar Coa leads the jockey colony with six wins.
Velasquez, a native of Panama, won two Breeders’ Cup races at Monmouth Park Oct. 27. He scored with War Pass in the $2-million Bessemer Trust Breeders' Cup Juvenile (gr.I) and with Kip Deville in the $1-million NetJets Breeders' Cup Mile (gr.IT). Those wins brought Velasquez’s total Breeders’ Cup victories to four.
Most Popular Stories
- Kettle Corn to Stand in Ohio at Fair Winds
- Drug Testing Not Without Its Challenges
- Aftercare Alliance Awards $1M in Grants
- Lexie Lou Heads Ontario Lassie
- Jed Doro, Nancy Ury Added to Oaklawn Staff
- Brisnet.com Ultimate Guide to Aqueduct Inner
- Tournaments Growing Fans and Owners
- Top Mare Nastique Dies at 29
- Panelists to Horse Racing: Spin Isn't In
- St Nicholas Abbey Progresses in Recovery