Held up in 10th for much of the 1 7/8-mile event, Allegretto tracked the strong pace set by Lord du Sud. As the field entered the straightaway, Moore moved his filly to the outside, and the daughter of Galileo shot like a rocket to challenge the leaders, taking command in the final 70 yards to win by a short neck.
Macleya held on for second, a length in front of Ponte Tresa. Final time for the almost two-mile marathon was 3:15.5 over the good turf course.
Allegretto is a 4-year-old filly out of Alleluia, by Caerleon. Alleluia, who was champion 3-year-old filly in England, hails from the family of champions Albanova and Quarter Moon. Group I winners Aussie Rules, Yesterday, and Alborada also can be found in the immediate family.
Allegretto was bred in Ireland by Kirsten Rausing and Airlie Stud, and is owned by Cheveley Park Stud. She is trained by Sir Michael Stoute.
Most Popular Stories
- Big 'Cap Seems Like Olden Days
- Honor Code to Bypass Rebel, Run at Gulfstream
- Judy the Beauty Leads Las Flores Shippers
- Curlin, Asmussen Among Hall of Fame Finalists
- Midshipman Colt Posts Fastest Ocala Drill
- Sweet Reason Comes Back a Winner
- Riposte Heads Solid Hillsborough Field
- Portion of Vinceremos' Earnings to Charity
- Stakes Winner S. S. Hot Sauce Dead at 33
- Big 'Cap was 'Holy Grail' for Trainer Jones