Agent Ronnie Ebanks confirmed that Talamo, a 17-year-old Louisiana native now based in Southern California, would handle the riding chores on Lewis Michael, who is coming off a fourth-place finish in Oak Tree's Goodwood Breeders' Cup (gr. I) over the Cushion Track surface at Santa Anita. The Dirt Mile is contested at one mile and seventy yards.
Lewis Michael races for the Illinois connection of owner/breeder Frank Calabrese and trainer Wayne Catalano. The 4-year colt by Rahy--Justenuffheart (by Broad Brush) won Arlington Park's Washington Park Handicap (gr. II) on Polytrack July 28 by nearly five lengths in his start prior to the Goodwood. He had been ridden in both races by E.T. Baird.
"We think Lewis Michael is very, very live for this race," Ebanks said. "He probably should have won the Goodwood, but he had to chase a :22 opening quarter and got a little tired after leading in the stretch. We think he'll do much better here."
Talamo also rides undefeated Nashoba's Key in the $2 million Emirates Airline Breeders' Cup Filly & Mare Turf (gr. IT).
Most Popular Stories
- Hoppertunity Stays Up in Roughshod Rebel
- KY-bred Lideris Wins Latinoamericana in Peru
- Featured Horse Profile: Close Hatches
- Onlyforyou Euthanized After Training Accident
- Let Faith Arise Puts Santa Margarita On Ice
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Close Hatches Proves Class in Azeri Stakes
- Golden Lad Pulls Away for Razorback Romp
- Centre Court Scores Game Honey Fox Repeat
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity