Since the beginning of the race week Oct. 17, the 49-year-old jockey has won with 16 of his 25 mounts, a 64% clip. Baze, a winner of 9,882 races in his career, is enjoying his hottest week ever, according to the Bay Meadows publicity office, with one more day to go.
“I love it,” said Baze Oct. 20 after winning with four of six starters. “The horses are running good, and I’m riding them with confidence. Sometimes it goes like that. Next week may be a different story.”
Heading into the program, Baze appeared to be cooling down after winning 11 of 13 races Oct. 17-18. He won just once in six tries on the night of Oct. 19, even though five of his mounts went off as favorites.
But he bounced back in a big way. He started the day with a victory aboard second-choice Carrie With a C ($4.60), then won the second on 3-5 favorite Band of Thunder ($3.20). He sat out the third and fifth races, but took the fourth with favored Geribeca ($5) and the sixth on the top pick Canoe in a Slew ($7). After Cowboysandindians ran out in the seventh, Baze concluded his day with a fast-closing second aboard 2-1 choice Court the King in the $71,550 Bay Meadows Speed Handicap.
Baze won six of seven races Oct. 18 at Bay Meadows, bettering his 5-for-6 afternoon the preceding day. He also won with his final ride Oct. 14, giving him 17 victories in his last 26 rides (65%).
According to Equibase, Baze once again leads the nation in victories this year with 323 through Oct. 20, 40 ahead of his closest rival, Ramon Dominguez. He has had 953 mounts and owns a 33.9% win rate. The longtime Northern California standout missed 11 racing days in September while serving a suspension for misusing his whip.
Most Popular Stories
- Hangin' With Haskin: My Top 10 Racing Movies
- Southwest Regional: Double Barrel
- Southeast Regional: Investing in Success
- Reinventing Racing - By Eric Mitchell
- One Last Hope to Salvage Illinois 2014 Season
- Stem Cells to Treat Chronic Laminitis: The Sooner the Better
- G3 Winner Keep Up Retired to Mill Ridge
- Slideshow: The Week in Photos for 12/17/2013
- After the Wire: Shared Belief, Midnight Hawk
- Lasix-Free BC Juveniles Show Few EIPH Cases