Baze, North America's all-time leading jockey, won with one of his six rides on the eight-race card. Five of his mounts went off as favorites. The victory came aboard 4-5 choice Highly Quick for trainer Jerry Hollendorfer in the fifth race, a $25,000 claiming race for fillies and mares. Baze also had two seconds and a third-place showing during the night, which began with cloudy skies and a fast track. Conditions had turned to wet fast and rainy by the program's mid-point.
Baze won six races of seven races Oct. 18 at Bay Meadows, bettering his 5-for-6 afternoon the preceding day. The 49-year-old rider also won with his final ride Oct. 14, giving him 12 victories in 14 mounts.
According to Equibase, Baze once again leads the nation in victories this year with 319 through Oct. 19 -- 39 ahead of his closest challenger, Ramon Dominguez. He has had 947 mounts for a 33.7% win rate. The longtime Northern California standout missed 11 racing days in September while serving a suspension for misusing his whip.
Baze has an all-time best 9,878 wins in his career.
Most Popular Stories
- Hoppertunity Stays Up in Roughshod Rebel
- Let Faith Arise Puts Santa Margarita On Ice
- Featured Horse Profile: Close Hatches
- Onlyforyou Euthanized After Training Accident
- Close Hatches Proves Class in Azeri Stakes
- Golden Lad Pulls Away for Razorback Romp
- Centre Court Scores Game Honey Fox Repeat
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Cairo Prince Leads Florida Derby Worktab
- Champs Beholder, She's a Tiger Post Workouts