Nobiz Like Shobiz, winner of the Jamaica Handicap (gr.IIT) in his last start, worked a half-mile over Belmont Park’s inner turf course Oct. 17.
With jockey Javier Castellano in the saddle, Nobiz Like Shobiz completed the work in 49.82 seconds over a course labeled good. Belmont clockers recorded the 3-year-old’s initial quarter-mile in 25.20 seconds.
Nobiz Like Shobiz was pre-entered Oct. 15 in the $2 million NetJets Breeders’ Cup Mile at Monmouth Park Oct. 27.
Trainer Barclay Tagg has been noncommittal about running Nobiz Like Shobiz in the Breeders’ Cup. He noted that Castellano, the colt’s regular rider, has another call in the Mile.
“I haven’t yet seen the past performances and who is going to run,” Tagg said Oct. 17. “I will talk with (owner Elizabeth Valando). He’s got to run against older horses and I am not too keen on that. Also, there are no accolades for 3-year-old turf horses. The 3-year-old dirt horses get the awards.”
Nobiz Like Shobiz, a grade I winner on dirt, is perfect in three starts this year on turf. In addition to his four-length Jamaica score Oct. 6, the son of Albert the Great won the Hall of Fame Stakes (gr. IIT) at Saratoga and the Kent Breeders’ Cup Stakes (gr.IIIT) at Delaware Park.
If Nobiz Like Shobiz doesn’t run in the Breeders’ Cup, he would be pointed to the Hollywood Derby (gr.IT) at Hollywood Park Nov. 25.
Most Popular Stories
- Hangin' With Haskin: My Top 10 Racing Movies
- Southwest Regional: Double Barrel
- Southeast Regional: Investing in Success
- Reinventing Racing - By Eric Mitchell
- One Last Hope to Salvage Illinois 2014 Season
- Stem Cells to Treat Chronic Laminitis: The Sooner the Better
- G3 Winner Keep Up Retired to Mill Ridge
- Slideshow: The Week in Photos for 12/17/2013
- After the Wire: Shared Belief, Midnight Hawk
- Lasix-Free BC Juveniles Show Few EIPH Cases