The victory marked the first stakes win for the Richard Hannon trainee, who entered the race off a third-place effort to City Leader in the Juddmonte Royal Lodge Stakes (Eng-II) Sept. 29. Before that, he was a good second to McCartney in the listed Weatherbys Bank Stonehenge Stakes in August. McCartney is slated to run in the upcoming Darley Dewhurst Stakes (Eng-I) Oct. 20.
Jockey Ryan Moore kept Scintillo settled mid-pack as Gladiatorus, under Frankie Dettori, went to the lead and led the field through the first six furlongs. Moore went to work on Scintillo with three furlongs left, and the pair assumed command with just over two furlongs to go.
Gladiatorus fought back but was no match for the winner, who won the race while being geared down by his jockey. Farrel got up for third, 1 3/4-lengths behind Gladiatorus. Time for the eight furlongs was 1:38.2.
Scintillo is out of the Thatching mare, Danseuse du Soir. The Gran Criterium victory by Scintillo marked the first group I winner for his sire, Fantastic Light.
Most Popular Stories
- Mucho Macho Man to Race in 2014
- Erskine Says Juddmonte Group Not for Sale
- Butler Gets Five-Year Suspension
- Trainer Harvey Vanier Dies at Age 89
- Draws Doom U.S. Hopes in HK Jockey Challenge
- Partners to Build Racetrack Casino in Calgary
- Bad Debt, Philly Ace Tropical Turf Topweights
- BloodHorse.com Has a New Look
- Immortal Verse Sells for European Record
- Steep Wagering Decline at Churchill Fall Meet