The 4-year-old chestnut was coming off an impressive win in Germany’s IVG Preis von Europa (Ger-I) in September. The victory marked the colt’s eighth win in 12 career starts.
Schiaparelli took the lead soon after the break under jockey Andrasch Starke. The pair set a moderate pace as they were tracked closely by Bussoni, Gimmy, and Champs Elysees.
The order remained the same as the field entered the straightaway. Starke urged his mount on with a furlong left, and Schiaparelli responded, pulling away in the final yards to win comfortably by 1 3/4-lengths. Laverock, winner of this event last year, made a belated run on the outside under Frankie Dettori, but tired in the final strides to lose the second placing to Champs Elysees by 1 1/4-lengths.
Final time for the 12 furlongs was 2:28.5 over turf listed as good.
Trainer Peter Schiergen indicated that the son of Monsun could have one more start this year, in the Hong Kong Vase (HK-I) in December.
Schiaparelli is out of Sacarina, by Old Vic, and was bred in Germany by Gestut Karlshof. He is a full brother to fellow German classic winners Samum and Salve Regina.
Most Popular Stories
- Mr Speaker Skims to Dania Beach Surprise
- Strapping Groom Much the Best in Gravesend
- Full Field to Meet Flashback in Malibu Stakes
- Cyber Secret Sets Turfway Mark in Stakes Win
- Baker to Head Operations at Three Chimneys
- Slideshow: A Visit to WinStar Farm
- Eluisve Gold Surprises Cape Guineas Field
- Ken Ramsey on Kitten's Joy
- TimeformUS: The Hollywood Park Swan Song
- Santa Anita Reducing Takeout on Daily Double