In the process of being syndicated, Scipion’s 2008 stud fee has been set at $6,000 live foal.
Bred by Virginia Kraft-Payson's Payson Stud, Scipion was a $1.9 million sale yearling at the 2003 Fasig-Tipton Saratoga select sale.
A talented 2-year-old, Scipion broke his maiden at first asking at Saratoga. After trailing the field for the opening half-mile, Scipion turned in a spectacular run through the stretch to win going away.
At three, he won the Risen Star Stakes (gr. III), defeating among others, grade I winner Buzzards Bay, grade II winners Rush Bay and Harlington, and grade III winner Storm Surge.
Out of the graded stakes-winning mare Strawberry Reason, Scipion is a half-brother to juvenile champion and top freshman sire Vindication. Vindication currently has 12 2-year-old winners from his first crop, including grade II winner More Happy and grade I-placed Maimonides.
Said the Murrays: “We are thrilled to have such a fine-looking individual who is so closely related to 2007 top freshman sire Vindication, who may be the next great sire.”
Horse of the Year and leading sire A. P. Indy is the sire of 10 graded stakes winners this year, including the classic-winning filly Rags to Riches, and grade I-winning juvenile Majestic Warrior.
Most Popular Stories
- Glorious Days Closes to Win HK Mile
- Lord Kanaloa Impresses in Career Finale
- Dominant Upsets The Fugue in HK Vase
- Akeed Mofeed Takes Hong Kong Cup
- Streaming Surges Clear for Starlet Surprise
- Apprentice Jockey Vanessa Fry Wins Her First
- Multiple Grade I Winner Flat Out Retired
- Hong Kong Cup Day: Ed Dunlop - Red Cadeaux
- Broken Sword Never Looks Back in Bayakoa Win
- Exit Stage Left Stays Unbeaten in Gold Rush