The 9-year-old The Tin Man, second by a length in Oak Tree's Clement L. Hirsch Turf Championship (gr. I) at Santa Anita Oct. 6, is likely to pass the John Deere Breeders’ Cup Turf (gr. IT), trainer Richard Mandella said Oct. 10.
“I can’t see going,” the trainer said, referring to the Monmouth Park series on Oct. 26-27. “We’ll probably think about the Citation for him.”
The 1 1/16-mile Citation Handicap (gr. IT) on the turf is at Hollywood Park Nov. 23 with a purse of $400,000.
“Three weeks is not enough time,” Mandella added. “If he’d have won (the Hirsch) by as much as he lost, that would have made my decision harder.”
The Tin Man finished fourth in both the 2002 and '03 Breeders' Cup Turf.
Most Popular Stories
- Glorious Days Closes to Win HK Mile
- Lord Kanaloa Impresses in Career Finale
- Dominant Upsets The Fugue in HK Vase
- Akeed Mofeed Takes Hong Kong Cup
- Streaming Surges Clear for Starlet Surprise
- Apprentice Jockey Vanessa Fry Wins Her First
- Multiple Grade I Winner Flat Out Retired
- Hong Kong Cup Day: Ed Dunlop - Red Cadeaux
- Broken Sword Never Looks Back in Bayakoa Win
- Exit Stage Left Stays Unbeaten in Gold Rush