The 9-year-old The Tin Man, second by a length in Oak Tree's Clement L. Hirsch Turf Championship (gr. I) at Santa Anita Oct. 6, is likely to pass the John Deere Breeders’ Cup Turf (gr. IT), trainer Richard Mandella said Oct. 10.
“I can’t see going,” the trainer said, referring to the Monmouth Park series on Oct. 26-27. “We’ll probably think about the Citation for him.”
The 1 1/16-mile Citation Handicap (gr. IT) on the turf is at Hollywood Park Nov. 23 with a purse of $400,000.
“Three weeks is not enough time,” Mandella added. “If he’d have won (the Hirsch) by as much as he lost, that would have made my decision harder.”
The Tin Man finished fourth in both the 2002 and '03 Breeders' Cup Turf.
Most Popular Stories
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Strong Mandate Brings Lukas Back for More
- Candy Boy Sharpens Up for Santa Anita Derby
- Racing Voices: The Fastest Horse in the World
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity
- TimeformUS Saturday Plays
- Ria Antonia Posts Bullet Move at Santa Anita
- Trainer Chleborad Secures 1,000th Career Win
- Mucho Macho Man Taking it Easy at Gulfstream
- OBS Spring Sale Catalog Now Available Online