The speedy Storm Code will once again be facing Turf War, who rallied from just off the pace to register a one-length win over his rival in the seven-furlong Swynford Sept. 15. Turf War, trained by leading conditioner Mark Casse, heads a a field of seven in the 1 1/16-mile test on the Polytrack.
The Kentucky-bred Storm Code, owned by Camilla Farms, was two lengths in front of Turf War in the stretch but could not resist the challenger in a strong performance by both juveniles. That effort came after Storm Code's gate-to-wire maiden debut win Aug. 17 at five furlongs.
“The biggest question was stretching from five-eighths to seven-eighths,” said Parente. “But he’s the type who gives you 110% every time. I would have loved to have had another race in between. I think he would have been even tougher, but it didn’t happen.
“He certainly trains like he’ll be able to handle two turns,” added Parente. “You never really know until you get them out there, but he’s coming into the race 100%."
Parente said Storm Code has been precocious from the start.
"He showed some really nice speed early in his training," he said. "We encountered some gate issues with him and he gave us fits, but that’s all behind him.”
The chestnut can rate, Parente says. "He absolutely doesn’t need the lead. With him, you can really do anything you want.” Eurico Rosa Da Silva rides.
Woodford Racing's Turf War has won both his lifetime starts for Casse. The Kentucky-bred son of Dixie Union was sent off as the 6-5 choice in the Swynford and figures to be the strong favorite once again.
"I think this horse wants to run long," offered Casse, who will have leading rider Patrick Husbands aboard once more.
Husbands rallied Turf War mid-stretch in the Swynford and eventually wore down the leader. The final time was 1:23.02 over the Polytrack. They'll start from the inside post.
Turf War, with lifetime earnings of $123,000, began his career with a 1 3/4-length maiden score on Aug. 18.
Husbands and Casse teamed to win last year's Grey Breeders' Cup with Skip Code.
$250,000 Grey Breeders' Cup Stakes (Can-III, Race 7, 3:59 p.m.), 2-Year-Olds, 1 1/16 Miles (All Weather)
PP. Horse, Weight, Jockey
1. Turf War (KY), 117, Patrick Husbands
2. Cool Gator (ON), 113, Emma-Jayne Wilson
3. Mighty Vow (MD), 115, Chantal Sutherland
4. Saada (KY), 113, Todd Kabel
5. Globetrotter (FL), 113, Jeremy Rose
6. Storm Code (KY), 113, Eurico Rosa Da Silva
7. Bonanza (KY), 113, James McAleney
Most Popular Stories
- Gala Award: Not Your Typical Turf Pedigree
- Downey Appointed to Judicial Position in KY
- Former Jockey Davis Focus of HRTV Documentary
- Winter Not a Serious Threat to Eastern Tent Caterpillar Eggs
- Xpressbet to Sponsor HOF Jockey Challenge
- Leishmaniasis: No Longer Just a Foreign Animal Disease
- Shared Belief Confirmed Off KY Derby Trail
- Run the Bluegrass Race Honors Zenyatta
- 'Mandate' Should Be Strong in Rebel Stakes
- Social Inclusion On Derby Path After Big Win