The 2-year-old daughter of Officer cruised up on the outside of the pacesetting Victory Romance on the final turn of the 1 1/16-mile event, battling on to a one-length victory.
Patrick Husbands rode Officer Cherrie to victory for owner Charles LaLoggia and trainer Mark Casse. Officer Cherrie, a winner of three of four starts, was coming off a triumph in the Ontario Debutante Stakes Aug. 18 and held a class edge on her four rivals.
The final time was 1:46.49 for 1 1/16 miles on Polytrack.
Victory Romance, an Alberta-bred daughter of Slew City Slew, led the field through soft early fractions of :24.73 and :48.87, with Officer Cherrie positioned third along the rail.
After three-quarters in 1:13.67, the Kentucky-bred Officer Cherrie angled to the outside of Victory Romance around the far turn, taking control mid-stretch.
Victory Romance was 4 1/4 lengths in front of Born To Be, who was supplemented to the race.
Husbands knew his filly would have to overcome a moderate pace. "I told Mark over and over again, 'There isn't going to be any pace in here.' My horse is a decent filly and you'll probably hear a lot about her in the future."
"This filly ran hard," said jockey Todd Kabel of Victory Romance. "She's a baby; she's learning. It was a big effort today. I'm really happy with her."
The victory gave Casse his Woodbine-leading 12th stakes win of the year.
Officer Cherrie returned $4.10, $3.30 and $2.40 and combined with Victory Romance ($5.70, $2.70) for a $27.20 exacta. Born to Be paid $2.20 to show. She's the Umpire and Satin Slippers trailed.
Most Popular Stories
- Top Mare Nastique Dies at 29
- Racing is Ripe for More Advanced Statistics
- NYRA Chief Discusses Aspects of Growth Plan
- Giving 'L' Legitimacy - Eric Mitchell
- BloodHorse.com New Navigation Tour
- St Nicholas Abbey Progresses in Recovery
- Suffolk Casino Project to be Put to New Vote
- Castellano Closing on Season Earnings Record
- Arqana Sale Closes With Records
- Slideshow: The Week in Photos for 12/10/2013