Schiaparelli tracked longtime leader Ioannina until the field hit the straightaway. Jockey Andrasch Starke then set the 4-year-old loose, and the colt took command with one furlong left. The pair ran on strongly to claim the 12-furlong event comfortably by three-quarters of a length over Poseidon Adventure.
Pacesetter Ioannina held on for third, a neck farther back. Final time for the race was 2:29.7 over turf listed as good.
Winning trainer Peter Schiergen indicated the Premio del Jockey Club (Ity-I) at San Siro would be the colt’s next start. The son of Monsun has now won his last three starts. He captured the BMW Deutsches Derby (Ger-I) in 2006.
Schiaparelli is out of Sacarina, by Old Vic, and was bred in Germany by Gestut Karlshof. He is a full brother to fellow German classic winners Samum and Salve Regina.
Most Popular Stories
- Strong Mandate Brings Lukas Back for More
- Mucho Macho Man Taking it Easy at Gulfstream
- Candy Boy Sharpens Up for Santa Anita Derby
- Racing Voices: The Fastest Horse in the World
- Ria Antonia Posts Bullet Move at Santa Anita
- OBS Spring Sale Catalog Now Available Online
- Lord Windermere Prevails in Gold Cup Photo
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity
- Pure Romance to Sponsor Bourbonette Oaks
- TimeformUS Saturday Plays