Schiaparelli tracked longtime leader Ioannina until the field hit the straightaway. Jockey Andrasch Starke then set the 4-year-old loose, and the colt took command with one furlong left. The pair ran on strongly to claim the 12-furlong event comfortably by three-quarters of a length over Poseidon Adventure.
Pacesetter Ioannina held on for third, a neck farther back. Final time for the race was 2:29.7 over turf listed as good.
Winning trainer Peter Schiergen indicated the Premio del Jockey Club (Ity-I) at San Siro would be the colt’s next start. The son of Monsun has now won his last three starts. He captured the BMW Deutsches Derby (Ger-I) in 2006.
Schiaparelli is out of Sacarina, by Old Vic, and was bred in Germany by Gestut Karlshof. He is a full brother to fellow German classic winners Samum and Salve Regina.
Most Popular Stories
- Slideshow: The Week in Photos for 12/10/2013
- Veterinarian-Farrier Team Key to Managing Laminitic Horses
- Slideshow: Royal Delta
- Horizontal Navigation: Blogs and Multimedia
- NJ Senate Committee OKs Instant Racing Bill
- Gulfstream Expands Lead in Handle
- Ria Antonia Readies for Run Against Boys
- Fasig-Tipton Midlantic Sale Posts Increases
- Oaklawn Park to Open 57-day Meet Jan. 10
- New Career Plans for Retired Comma to the Top