The win at Newbury reversed the form shown by Dark Angel just eight days ago, when the 2-year-old colt finished a well-beaten seventh in the Polypipe Flying Childers Stakes (Eng-II) at Doncaster. Despite that result, the gray son of Acclamation was installed as the 9-4 favorite over Richmond Stakes (Eng-II) winner Strike The Deal.
Jockey Michael Hills sent Dark Angel immediately to the front at the break, and despite repeated challenges from Strike The Deal throughout the final furlong, the pair easily held that one at bay to win by a neck.
Berbice got up for third, three-quarters of behind Strike The Deal. Time for the six furlongs was 1:11.68 over the good to firm turf.
Dark Angel is out of theMachiavellian mare, Midnight Angel. He is trained by Barry Hills for owners Mrs. J. M. Corbett and C. Wright.
Most Popular Stories
- After the Wire: Santa Anita Handicap
- Judy the Beauty Splendid in Las Flores Score
- Pressure Off Sherman After 'Chrome's Dazzler
- Expectations High for OBS 2-Year-Old Sale
- Darley Sire Lonhro Enters Australian Hall
- Golden Gate Fields Adds Alcatraz Stakes
- Ramseys' Major Marvel Takes Barbados Gold Cup
- Game On Dude Captures Record Third Big 'Cap
- Honor Code Gets Tightener for Seasonal Debut
- Santa Anita Handicap Handle Increases 23%