The win at Newbury reversed the form shown by Dark Angel just eight days ago, when the 2-year-old colt finished a well-beaten seventh in the Polypipe Flying Childers Stakes (Eng-II) at Doncaster. Despite that result, the gray son of Acclamation was installed as the 9-4 favorite over Richmond Stakes (Eng-II) winner Strike The Deal.
Jockey Michael Hills sent Dark Angel immediately to the front at the break, and despite repeated challenges from Strike The Deal throughout the final furlong, the pair easily held that one at bay to win by a neck.
Berbice got up for third, three-quarters of behind Strike The Deal. Time for the six furlongs was 1:11.68 over the good to firm turf.
Dark Angel is out of theMachiavellian mare, Midnight Angel. He is trained by Barry Hills for owners Mrs. J. M. Corbett and C. Wright.
Most Popular Stories
- Cibelli Wins Her First Race After 60-Day Ban
- That Handicapping Show: Dania Beach Stakes
- No Deal Yet on Will Take Charge, Horton Says
- Grade I Winner Mission Approved Retired
- Legacy Bloodstock Relaunched by Easthams
- Big Fields for Hollywood's Final Curtain Call
- And They're Off: 2013 Offy Awards
- Bourbon Courage Faces Csaba, Neck 'n Neck
- Woodbine Has Per-Card Wagering Rise in 2013
- Tranquility Farm Downsizing, Moving North