The victory marked the fourth in as many tries for the Jim Bolger-trained son of Galileo. Comparisons have been made not only to his undefeated stablemate Teofilo, but also to that of the great Secretariat.
The field for the National Stakes was loaded with talent, with fellow stakes winners Myboycharlie, Rio de La Plata, and Lizard Island among those lining up. Myboycharlie was the only colt with prior group I experience, having captured the Darley Prix Morny (Fr-I) in his last start.
After some pre-race antics led to the colt’s refusal to enter the parade ring, jockey Kevin Manning had New Approach settled down by the time they reached the starting gate. New Approach took the lead at the start and drew off to win by 1 3/4-lengths from Rio de La Plata.
It was another 1 3/4-lengths back to Myboycharlie in third. Time for the seven furlongs was 1:23.5 over the good turf course.
Plans for New Approach are undecided at this point. He may be rested for the remainder of the year or may yet start in the Darley Dewhurst (Eng-I) in October.
New Approach is out of Park Express, who was a champion in both England and Ireland. He is a half-brother to stakes winners Shinko Forest and Dazzling Park.
The chestnut colt is owned in partnership by Jackie Bolger and Darley.
Most Popular Stories
- Hoppertunity Stays Up in Roughshod Rebel
- Featured Horse Profile: Close Hatches
- Let Faith Arise Puts Santa Margarita On Ice
- Onlyforyou Euthanized After Training Accident
- Close Hatches Proves Class in Azeri Stakes
- Golden Lad Pulls Away for Razorback Romp
- Centre Court Scores Game Honey Fox Repeat
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Cairo Prince Leads Florida Derby Worktab
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity