Smart Enough, a 4-year-old Horse Chestnut gelding trained by John Fisher, relished a return to five furlongs after fading badly in the 1 1/16-mile Oceanport (gr. IIIT) on the Monmouth Park lawn in his last try one month ago. Carrying 121 pounds, he ran the distance in :55.53 and shaved two-fifths off the Philly track mark. Smart Enough has won six of eight starts at five panels on the turf.
Heros Reward, ridden by Javier Castellano, finished second, 1 1/4 lengths behind the winner. It was 1 3/4 lengths farther back to the 19-10 favorite Gaff, who finished third under Shaun Bridgmohan.
The chestnut Smart Enough broke second and pressed the quick pace set by the mare Unbridled Sidney, who clicked off a fast opening quarter mile in :21 3/5. Smart Enough edged to the front rounding the turn and steadily drew clear after a :43 3/5 half. Under steady encouragement, he held off Heros Reward, who closed with interest. Gaff also finished willingly.
Smart Enough had enjoyed back-to-back stakes wins, including a half-length triumph in Woodbine's six-furlong Scotts Highlander (Can-III) prior to the Oceanport debacle, in which he finished last of eight. Smart Enough earned $120,000 in the Turf Monster. With his eighth lifetime win in 12 starts, the gelding has now banked $488,254.
Sent off as the second choice in a field of 10, he paid $9.80, $5 and $4. Heros Reward returned $4.80 and $3. Gaff was $2.80 to show.
Most Popular Stories
- Ria Antonia Readies for Run Against Boys
- New Career Plans for Retired Comma to the Top
- Akeed Mofeed Takes HK Cup; Little Mike 9th
- Dozen Pointed for $750,000 CashCall Futurity
- Nutritional Management of Insulin Resistance in Horses
- Boat Trip Wins Express; Triple Heater for 2nd
- Dominant Upsets The Fugue in Hong Kong Vase
- Glorious Days Closes to Win Hong Kong Mile
- Jose Sea View Posts Gritty Display Victory
- Streaming Surges Clear for Starlet Surprise