In the richest grass race of the Oklahoma track's season, Brego defeated 19-1 Almost Certain, with 10-1 shot Smooth Bid a half-length behind in third.
The favorite in the 1 1/8-mile event, 3-2 choice Inca King, gave way in the stretch to finish ninth after leading briefly. Therecomesatiger, the 5-2 second choice, finished seventh.
Racing along the inside in mid-pack, Brego moved up on the rail to reach contention mid-stretch. He responded to strong urging in the final stages to get the job done. Almost Certain, ridden by Larry Taylor, rallied belatedly from far behind and ran out of room. Smooth Bid, M. Berry aboard, also closed to get third. The winning time was 1:48 2/5.
Bruce Jackson trains the 5-year-old California-bred Brego for owner Paul J. Varni. The In Excesshorse, out of the Ezzoud mare Cheshire Cat, earned his first stakes win while improving his record to 4-6-1 in 19 starts. The winning share, $90,000, increased Brego's lifetime earnings to $200,789. Denise B. Tyler bred the winner.
The long-shots produced some huge exotic payoffs. The $2 exacta was $572.20. The $2 trifecta returned $8,505.40. The $1 superfecta, with 10-1 shot Sing Baby Sing in fourth, was worth $112,372.30.
Brego paid $36, $14.60 and $9.40. Almost Certain returned $21.60 and $10.40. Smooth Bid was $6.80 to show.
Most Popular Stories
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Strong Mandate Brings Lukas Back for More
- Candy Boy Sharpens Up for Santa Anita Derby
- Trainer Chleborad Secures 1,000th Career Win
- Racing Voices: The Fastest Horse in the World
- Ria Antonia Posts Bullet Move at Santa Anita
- Mucho Macho Man Taking it Easy at Gulfstream
- Bath Time for Hoppertunity
- OBS Spring Sale Catalog Now Available Online
- TimeformUS Saturday Plays