“I’d like a picture of me and Wanda, right here, right in front,” Nafzger directs, pulling his wife into the frame. He takes off his glasses and flashes a winning smile.
“Now get Calvin, get Calvin and Lisa,” Nafzger says. The jockey and his fiancée step up to the blanket with their pet Corgi. They’re beaming.
“Bring the crew; come on, everybody,” Nafzger instructs, taking a horse from a hotwalker so the worker can get in the picture. They crowd around the blanket, everyone who has worked with the horse or with any other in the barn.
“Now we need to get HIM,” Nafzger says. Tracy Wilkes brings a lead shank, and Street Sense emerges from his stall. He lifts his head over the rail, and Nafzger offers a carrot. The colt leans forward and takes the proffered treat.
Then Street Sense looks up. Pricks his ears. Flirts with the camera. Livingston smiles, delighted. Bring it, baby.
Click click click click click.
“He’s a natural,” Nafzger laughs. “Just put him on a stage…”
Sweet sense at Nafzger’s barn courtesy of Street Sense - this morning, the racing world is his audience, and Saratoga makes the perfect stage.
Most Popular Stories
- And They're Off: 2013 Offy Awards
- Podcast: Eclipse Awards 2013: Older Divisions
- Flashback Likely Pick Among Malibu Probables
- Digging Deeper into Breeders' Cup Lasix Study
- Valenzuela Expects Healthy Santa Anita Meet
- Native Diver Monument Moving to Del Mar
- Stretch Out No Problem for Unbeaten Samraat
- Storms Eye and Europe to Bearfoot Farms
- GII Winner Forty Tales Retires to Sequel NY
- Brown Enters Pleuven, Request in Dania Beach