The 4-year-old son of leading German sire Monsun was making his 2007 debut, having been out of action for close to a year with various minor ailments. His convincing win was a testament to the ability of trainer Andre Fabre, who is having an incredible Deauville meeting.
Pasquier kept Getaway in mid-pack during the early stages of the race, as favorite Lord du Sud led the field from the start. Getaway collared the longtime leader with a furlong left and ran on strongly to win by a half-length.
Lord du Sud held onto second by a neck over Ponte Tresa. Time for the marathon 15 furlongs was 3:22.1.
Getaway now has captured five of seven career starts for owner Baron Georg Von Ullmann. The bay colt is out of the Unfuwain mare, Guernica, making him a full brother to group I winner Guadalupe, and a half brother to champion older mare in England, Guadalajara.
Most Popular Stories
- Trainer D'Angelo Dies at 55
- Gala Award: Not Your Typical Turf Pedigree
- Former Jockey Davis Focus of HRTV Documentary
- Downey Appointed to Judicial Position in KY
- Bogdan, Former NY Breeders Lobbyist, Dies
- Xpressbet to Sponsor HOF Jockey Challenge
- Winter Not a Serious Threat to Eastern Tent Caterpillar Eggs
- 'Night of the Stars' to Benefit CKRH
- Shared Belief Confirmed Off KY Derby Trail
- TimeformUS Saturday Plays