Trainer Dermot Weld and jockey Pat Smullen had just arrived back in Ireland on Sunday morning from their disappointing trip to Arlington Park, where they finished last with Fleeting Shadow in the Secretariat Stakes (gr. IT). Fleeting Shadow is owned by Dr. Ronan Lambe, who also owns Campfire Glow.
Pat Smullen kept the 2-year-old daughter of Invincible Spirit in mid-pack, as the leaders set a good pace up front. Smullen then moved Campfire Glow up to challenge the leaders two furlongs out, and the pair took command with less than 100 yards left.
Listen, who encountered traffic problems and was last with two furlongs left to race, closed resolutely under Kieren Fallon but could only get to within a neck of the winner at the wire.
Tuscan Evening, who is still a maiden, ran a big race to finish third, 1 1/4-lengths further back. Final time for the seven furlongs was 1:33.1.
Campfire Glow is out of the Persian Bold mare, Ski Lodge. She was bred in Ireland by the Ski Lodge Partnership.
Most Popular Stories
- Streaming Surges Clear for Starlet Surprise
- Multiple Grade I Winner Flat Out Retired
- Broken Sword Never Looks Back in Bayakoa Win
- Apprentice Jockey Vanessa Fry Wins Her First
- Exit Stage Left Stays Unbeaten in Gold Rush
- Hong Kong Cup Day: Ed Dunlop - Red Cadeaux
- Nevada Kid Rolls in Claiming Crown Jewel
- Hong Kong Runners May Have Trouble This Year
- Hedge Skimmer Valiant Girl Shocks My Charmer
- Speaking of Which Makes Grade at Calder