The victory in the Royal Whip served as a much-needed confidence booster for the son of Rock of Gibraltar. The colt, who was a group II winner as a juvenile, finished third to stablemate Soldier of Fortune in the Budweiser Irish Derby (Ire-I) on July 1. In his next start, the Juddmonte Grand Prix de Paris (Fr-I), he clipped heels and stumbled badly, unseating Fallon in the process.
On this day, however, things went his way as he determinedly held off Alexander Tango to win by 2 1/2-lengths. Alexander Tango finished six lengths in front of third place finisher, Decado.
Time for the 10 furlongs over the heavy going was 2:15.5.
Eagle Mountain is out of the Darshaan mare, Masskana. He is a half-brother to champion filly Sulk (by Selkirk). He is trained by Aidan O’Brien for owner Derrick Smith.
Most Popular Stories
- Likely Entrants for World Cup Card Released
- Rebel Rematch Expected in Arkansas Derby
- Apprentice Courtney Hernandez Gets First Win
- KY-Bred Lideris Wins Latinoamericana in Peru
- Hoppertunity Stays Up in Roughshod Rebel
- Featured Horse Profile: Close Hatches
- Onlyforyou Euthanized After Training Accident
- Let Faith Arise Puts Santa Margarita On Ice
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Close Hatches Proves Class in Azeri Stakes